Breaking in new boots?

Now Ive broken in many pairs of boots but never new riding boots. Normally with like a new pair of work boots I will hit them with a good coating of mink oil or saddle soap put them someplace warm over night and then start wearing them the next day and it usually takes a few days and more applications of mink oil.

Now with my new riding boots they fit.......... but they are a little tight. But I also have wide feet. So before I start adding any mink oil to help soften and stretch the leather Id like to get some suggestions of how some of you all break in your new boots.

James

Staff member
I just throw them on and go ride. :ride:

I've heard of guys putting them in the oven for a short time, try that yet? :noidea:

I've heard of guys putting them in the oven for a short time, try that yet? :noidea:

They just arrived today. I put them on with my regular work socks and they were kinda tight. Then I tried them with my riding socks. They were even more tight. Im thinking that I may just treat them like I do my work boots. The mink oil shouldnt hurt anything and it will help make them water resistant. Not that I see much water riding in the desert.

Maybe when I do my top end break in this weekend I'll give them a shot and see what happens.

according to the tag on my dart boots
"wear the boots as tight as possible, it will help them form to the correct shape, and store them with the straps tied down to help them hold their form"

They just arrived today. I put them on with my regular work socks and they were kinda tight. Then I tried them with my riding socks. They were even more tight. Im thinking that I may just treat them like I do my work boots. The mink oil shouldnt hurt anything and it will help make them water resistant. Not that I see much water riding in the desert.

Maybe when I do my top end break in this weekend I'll give them a shot and see what happens.

That's how I broke mine in! :thumb:

In the olden days .... :devil:...and I know we've covered this before but here goes again...cowboys would step into the water trough and get their boots wet then were em and let them dry from around their feet. As for me, as noted by a couple above, I put them on and go...then again, mine weren't tight to begin with so I couldn't tell you how that woudl work for you! The monkey oil method should help but I would wear them after applying it. As for saddle soap, I had that crap dry out a pair of cowboy boots, may be good for cleaning them but you have to apply something else afterwards to keep from doign the same thing as mine. :prof:

I don't think riding boots are made of leather so none of this stuff would work in my opinion. I put mine on and wear them and the heat and sweat will form them to your foot and leg. Perhaps the oven technique would work a bit because the heat will soften up the material. Just don't bake them at 350 degrees. :devil:

James

Staff member
according to the tag on my dart boots
"wear the boots as tight as possible, it will help them form to the correct shape, and store them with the straps tied down to help them hold their form"
:thumb: Great advice. Nowadays boots/helmets form to your feet/head to provide better protection, which is why I always recommend buying those new (the helmet also has a few more reasons :P).

Perhaps the oven technique would work a bit because the heat will soften up the material. Just don't bake them at 350 degrees. :devil:
:lol: Yeah obviously don't over do it.

I don't think riding boots are made of leather so none of this stuff would work in my opinion. I put mine on and wear them and the heat and sweat will form them to your foot and leg. Perhaps the oven technique would work a bit because the heat will soften up the material. Just don't bake them at 350 degrees. :devil:

But if you do, cutdown o nthe time and add seasoning after you take them out and REMEMBER to let them rest before cuttting into them.....:prof:

just use em. sure it might suck for the first couple rides but really you dont need to do anything but ride at least once a week with em and you will be good to go in no time.

I threw em on, went over them with the hose, and did a few uphill sprints and stair climbs. That seemed to work a little!

I got a pair of tech 3s that I thought were EXTREMELY stiff. I can't even run or even walk up stairs in them :noidea: I have even played with them a little and they have only loosened up a tinyyyy bit. I think they are getting the return

I got a pair of tech 3s that I thought were EXTREMELY stiff. I can't even run or even walk up stairs in them :noidea: I have even played with them a little and they have only loosened up a tinyyyy bit. I think they are getting the return

In that case...fill both boots with a binary explosive. Send a dose of lead through the boots. :thumb: