450F Brand new 2008 kx450f

Hey Bruce!

We've been riding Rowher or Cal every weekend, more or less. Come with.

Going to do one or the other this weekend.

Cycra Probend with U-clamps.

Rode the KX at Rowher Flats today. It's a handful, but only because the suspension is so MX oriented. It's a gas when it's not totally rocky. Turns slow, but predictable. Much better than a pre '07 CRF. No understeer to speak of.
Motor is nuts fast, but only when WOT. The rest of the time it is docile and easy to ride. Stalls if you don't pay attention, but I expected that. Suspension beats you up on rocks, but is not as bad as a CRFR.

I'm keepin it.

Why the KX? Why not a CRFR?
Handling, Size, and price.

The CRF450R (2008) would have been my first choice, but the front end is too light, and the bike is too small for me. And it's $1000+ more expensive.

I had a 2002 CRF450R and didn't like it. Too cramped. The newer ones a much better bikes, especially the '08, but still to 'tiny' and unplanted front end feel for me.

I had a '03 and '07 WR450 and really like the planted feeling of the front end, but the bike was also a bit small for me. Great for single track, but I couldn't see using it in the desert much. Tried it twice, but the 450X was much better.

The X is a great bike. A real 'dirt cadillac'. But when you are traveling really fast and hit rough stuff, you have to be so incredibly 'braced' just to get through it, it gets very tiring.

The KX just flies. Flies over whoops. Flied over road crossings. Stops much shorter than the X. It's fun. And it should, cause it's 76lbs lighter than my X!! The X has more power though. It has more and wider power than the KX does, but the KX is lighter and faster reving, so it feels much faster.

Looking forward to trying it out again next week, with a taller seat.

How tall are you? Weight? That seems to be a huge concern, so just curious! And, if you don't mind me askin', what did that set you back?

How tall are you? Weight? That seems to be a huge concern, so just curious! And, if you don't mind me askin', what did that set you back?

6'3", 265lb dry.
What is the concern about.....?
I am currently at 128/28mm sag with the stock springs. Obviously I need to re-spring, but honestly it works very well as it is.
I have added a taller seat (Guts Tall/Medium) and bar risers (5/8") and bars (RM Medium), but will raise them up even more (1.5" total) by next ride. I also want to try the down/back pegs from IMS as they work great on my 450X.

James

Staff member
It's a handful, but only because the suspension is so MX oriented.
I am currently at 128/28mm sag with the stock springs. Obviously I need to re-spring, but honestly it works very well as it is.
So I'm guessing that you haven't had your suspension worked on? I would suggest getting that right as you might be surprised at how much better it'll ride.

So I'm guessing that you haven't had your suspension worked on? I would suggest getting that right as you might be surprised at how much better it'll ride.

Oh, no doubt about that. Yeah it's still stock, and will remain so for a few more rides.

The light throttle return spring is hard to get used to. It's like there is no resistance at all.

Still working on the partial throttle issues. Got it to start great, run great, but cutting the throttle creates a raised idle, and no adjusting of the fuel screw makes it better. I'm going to remove the slide and inspect the vacuum plate for leaks, and if that doesn't pan out, put in a bigger pilot.

Nice wheels, I'm jealous, did you sell the X, or keeping it for a back up?
Hanging idle sucks, can be too lean, others have told me too rich as well. can't win. Worst case scenario, a heavier return spring?

Nice wheels, I'm jealous, did you sell the X, or keeping it for a back up?
Hanging idle sucks, can be too lean, others have told me too rich as well. can't win. Worst case scenario, a heavier return spring?

Rick, I can't find a heavier return spring anywhere. Called the Kehien distributor Sudco, and they said no such thing. I don't want to take the carb off again just yet, so I'm going to live with in one or two more rides.

STill have the X. Rode 100 miles on Saturday up in the Rand mountains.

Brutal, savage, epic, bone-crushing ride.

More please.......

I THOUGHT I found the carb hanging idle issue. It was the dang slide plate again. I've seen this happen on every FCR carb that has hanging idle issue. Easy fix, just glue in the slide plate.

Gurrgle and thottle chop still there.

Oh, no doubt about that. Yeah it's still stock, and will remain so for a few more rides.

The light throttle return spring is hard to get used to. It's like there is no resistance at all.

Still working on the partial throttle issues. Got it to start great, run great, but cutting the throttle creates a raised idle, and no adjusting of the fuel screw makes it better. I'm going to remove the slide and inspect the vacuum plate for leaks, and if that doesn't pan out, put in a bigger pilot.

Tightening the return cable doesn't help this ?