Injured Big Dan hits his dog...

So I got the Cold Therapy Ice machine with knee attachments. Very cool
Looks as if it's going to be a meniscus tear. The ACL is looking good. I have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon next week.
Fingers crossed. My life is flipped upside down at this point....
Exactly what I did. Torn menicus that was torn laterally all the way across. As I said before, your PT will be crucial whether you have surgery or not. Hang in there.

SRAD97750

Staff member
So... How damn long has it been? 34 DAYS? I swear it feels like it was yesterday/forever ago. :noidea:

Week 1.
- Deep pain consistently (4 Vicodin/1600mg NSAID a day)
- Unable to move the knee, in immobilizer at night.
- Unsure of diagnosis...
- Back to work on wednesday in a wheelchair.
I don't know if you understand how big aircraft hangars are, but I wasn't going to break a rib "crutching it."
Week 2-4
- Deep pain with movement (800mg NSAID) Lessens everyday
- Movement upgraded to 90 degrees. Still no stability. 30% weight capable. Side to side movement extremely painful. Gradually gets better.
- Orthopaedic doctor said "torn meniscus, give it 6 weeks"
- Wheelchair-bound but able to do my job well. Wheelchair helps with stretching.
- PT 3 days a week 20min/20min Stationarycycle/Ice/shock therapy for an hour
- I love my jacuzzi... Swimming slow laps in the pool also.
Week 5
-Light Pain, No prescription pills, OK movement. Learning to walk.
-Friend suggests Glucosamin Chondrotin supplement. Sure.
Today
-Went for a light jog up and down my driveway (200ft). Full weight. ZERO knee pain. I tore the calf muscle where it attaches to the knee. This has been the only pain I have anymore. I walked into work tonight without aids.

So. In conclusion. Thanks to everyone who wished me well. I am confident I will be back in action in another month. I'll certainly be riding the gsxr in a week or two... :smirk:

Well, I was throwing in a few quick laps to test the Lifan's new gearing. Turn 5 was faster than ever with the recent precipitation. Laying into 2nd gear and off the seat I huck the "big" jump smooth. SMACK! I strike my 115lb chow/retriever broadside on the landing. He yelps like he's been broken in half, I tumble with the overweight chinabike to a glorious and dusty resting spot. Screaming was the best way to get help, surely.
Mike comes running and I yell, "is the dog okay?" He's perfectly fine. A sigh of relief as I assess my own wounds. The Mx boots saved my ankles, but their weight destroyed my left knee. Somewhere in the wreckage I remember hyper extending my knee . Anyways, I felt okay and tried to stand up. With absolutely no resistance my knee gives out. I'm in the middle of a field with this dull droning pain burning like fire. "Get the car, dude."
Off to Kaiser urgent care for some X-ray action. No fracture and excellent joint clearance. Severe sprain is the diagnosis.
Feels really heavy and extremely tight. I have been in an immobilizer for 24hrs and the stiffness is incredible.
As far as pain, when it happened 8 out of 10. Now its about a 3 with 2 Vicodin every 8hrs.
Going to be doing my own physical therapy here at home. What do you recommend?

Beers. I would go with beers.

I agree with James:

R Rolling Rock
I Ice to keep the beers cold
C Cable TV
E Extra beers in the fridge

You'll be fine in no time! :thumb:

YOU
So... How damn long has it been? 34 DAYS? I swear it feels like it was yesterday/forever ago. :noidea:

Week 1.
- Deep pain consistently (4 Vicodin/1600mg NSAID a day)
- Unable to move the knee, in immobilizer at night.
- Unsure of diagnosis...
- Back to work on wednesday in a wheelchair.
I don't know if you understand how big aircraft hangars are, but I wasn't going to break a rib "crutching it."
Week 2-4
- Deep pain with movement (800mg NSAID) Lessens everyday
- Movement upgraded to 90 degrees. Still no stability. 30% weight capable. Side to side movement extremely painful. Gradually gets better.
- Orthopaedic doctor said "torn meniscus, give it 6 weeks"
- Wheelchair-bound but able to do my job well. Wheelchair helps with stretching.
- PT 3 days a week 20min/20min Stationarycycle/Ice/shock therapy for an hour
- I love my jacuzzi... Swimming slow laps in the pool also.
Week 5
-Light Pain, No prescription pills, OK movement. Learning to walk.
-Friend suggests Glucosamin Chondrotin supplement. Sure.
Today
-Went for a light jog up and down my driveway (200ft). Full weight. ZERO knee pain. I tore the calf muscle where it attaches to the knee. This has been the only pain I have anymore. I walked into work tonight without aids.

So. In conclusion. Thanks to everyone who wished me well. I am confident I will be back in action in another month. I'll certainly be riding the gsxr in a week or two... :smirk:
You are lucky you didn't need surgery. Good luck.

I tore my acl 5 years ago, and I still have some problems today. In November I was going back to the ortho due to some serious swelling and pain, and it turns out, when I broke my femur, they put it together (with a rod and screws) slightly out of rotation. I was saying that after the first week and the doctor was acting like I was stupid.. Anyways, after 5 painful appointments, they said they need to rebreak my leg and set it correctly, and remove loads of scar tissue on, and around my acl, and dead (I think they called it haha) cartilage- F THAT! I went home, thought about it, and never went back hahaha... So, I feel ya on this. I remember going back to work 2 weeks after breaking it... It sucked.. I hope Windham is enjoying his orders of NOT DOING ANYTHING AT ALL due to his injury :mad:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Well. It's been 13-14 weeks!

I'm 99.9% healed. :thumb: :hifive::wiggle:
Riding the bicycle everyday and running with the dog has been a huge help.
:ride:Went riding with my brother at stoddard wells last saturday the 19th.:ride: Everything went great. Within a few miles I felt like myself again. Finding my rythym and rippin' up whoops really tested it out. Feels great. Not sore after or the day after. Just my back muscles felt it. Even went and tore up the home track on the lifan again. Anybody wanna ride?

...Feels like I'm whole again. -BIG DAN

:ride:Went riding with my brother at stoddard wells last saturday the 19th.:ride: Everything went great. Within a few miles I felt like myself again. Finding my rythym and rippin' up whoops really tested it out. Feels great. Not sore after or the day after. Just my back muscles felt it. Even went and tore up the home track on the lifan again. Anybody wanna ride?

fuck yea bro...

i have thursday and Friday off... show me the money.... and by money i mean your new pad and what time we are riding :P

Excellent news, but where were you over the weekend!:doh: