Injured Big Dan hits his dog...

SRAD97750

Staff member
Well, I was throwing in a few quick laps to test the Lifan's new gearing. Turn 5 was faster than ever with the recent precipitation. Laying into 2nd gear and off the seat I huck the "big" jump smooth. SMACK! I strike my 115lb chow/retriever broadside on the landing. He yelps like he's been broken in half, I tumble with the overweight chinabike to a glorious and dusty resting spot. Screaming was the best way to get help, surely.
Mike comes running and I yell, "is the dog okay?" He's perfectly fine. A sigh of relief as I assess my own wounds. The Mx boots saved my ankles, but their weight destroyed my left knee. Somewhere in the wreckage I remember hyper extending my knee . Anyways, I felt okay and tried to stand up. With absolutely no resistance my knee gives out. I'm in the middle of a field with this dull droning pain burning like fire. "Get the car, dude."
Off to Kaiser urgent care for some X-ray action. No fracture and excellent joint clearance. Severe sprain is the diagnosis.
Feels really heavy and extremely tight. I have been in an immobilizer for 24hrs and the stiffness is incredible.
As far as pain, when it happened 8 out of 10. Now its about a 3 with 2 Vicodin every 8hrs.
Going to be doing my own physical therapy here at home. What do you recommend?

I still feel bad for the dog even though he came out unscathed :lol:

Feel better Big Dan! I have no experience with knee injuries. Good luck and get back on that pony as soon as possible :thumb:

Sorry to hear of the misfortune, I'll recommend a stationary bike and a real high seat hight first. Gradually working the seat down to a good 90 degree bend. Also hang the good leg off the curb and do small squats on the bad knee ice and repeet

James

Staff member
This should be a given for any injury:

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

Icing is very important and will greatly reduce your recovery time. :thumb: So if you aren't already, you should be icing at 20min intervals (20 on / 20 off).

SRAD97750

Staff member
I still feel bad for the dog even though he came out unscathed :lol:
...Good luck and get back on that pony as soon as possible :thumb:
I thought I had killed my dog. I was so relieved to find he was just scared. And Thanks, I will
Dang that sucks man :(... Glad you wasn't hurt any worse
Me too, thanks
The chinese strike again....Get well soon Big Dan! :thumb:
Bike runs fine too by the way. Funny how noone asks about the condition of the bike... :noidea: And thanks, I will
Good to hear both you and the dog are doing relatively well Big-Dan :thumb:
Thanks man, I am blessed every day

SRAD97750

Staff member
I recommend more Vicodin and was it down with some Saphire Gin!
Right away doc! Sounds like a prescription for healing to me.
So no broken leg or torn ACL?
No break, and the doc didn't mention any ACL. How would I know it's torn? I have zero pain to the touch. It only hurts when I twist the knee, or try to put my full weight on it. And that pain is decreasing everyday... I am hopeful
Sorry to hear of the misfortune, I'll recommend a stationary bike and a real high seat hight first. Gradually working the seat down to a good 90 degree bend. Also hang the good leg off the curb and do small squats on the bad knee ice and repeet
You love to torture me palmer. Sounds like a plan for big dan. Thanks
Icing is very important and will greatly reduce your recovery time. :thumb: So if you aren't already, you should be icing at 20min intervals (20 on / 20 off).
I'm on it. RICE

James

Staff member
No break, and the doc didn't mention any ACL. How would I know it's torn? I have zero pain to the touch. It only hurts when I twist the knee, or try to put my full weight on it. And that pain is decreasing everyday... I am hopeful.
Thankfully I've never torn an ACL, mxdirtdiva would be a good person to ask. I'm sure the Doc would've told you if you had torn it as a lot of times it takes surgery to fix.

My knee was weak when I tore my MCL, especially when I twisted it. Oh and it hurt like a SOB. :rant:
I'm on it. RICE
If you have access to a cold therapy machine, even better. :thumb:

Geez SRAD!! Glad the dog is okay!! :D Seriously, hope you're okay too. Hypertension is usually a cause for ACL's to tear/rupture. If your knee felt like it gave way, or you felt what is classically known as a "pop" sensation, that's indicative of an ACL. Burning sensation can be strain or tear. A good ortho can manually test your knee to see if it's locking correctly, but sometimes an MRI is the only way to see for sure. You may also have a partial ACL tear. You can function with a ACL tear, however your knee won't be as stable, over time it can cause more damage in your knee because of the lack of stability and your knee may not track correctly within the joint. The ACL is your stabilizer in your knee. The bum deal of ACL's, it's a lig that will not heal on it's own, like low grade MCL tears can. May want to consider having an MRI just to make sure, you could also have a meniscus injury. Don't borrow trouble worrying that you've got an ACL or something else, but if it continues to bother you, I'd see an ortho and get films. Also, if it's a pain on the inner side of your knee, that's usually MCL and sometimes meniscus. Like James said, follow the RICE. Ice Ice Baby, feel better soon.

Well, I was throwing in a few quick laps to test the Lifan's new gearing. Turn 5 was faster than ever with the recent precipitation. Laying into 2nd gear and off the seat I huck the "big" jump smooth. SMACK! I strike my 115lb chow/retriever broadside on the landing. He yelps like he's been broken in half, I tumble with the overweight chinabike to a glorious and dusty resting spot. Screaming was the best way to get help, surely.
Mike comes running and I yell, "is the dog okay?" He's perfectly fine. A sigh of relief as I assess my own wounds. The Mx boots saved my ankles, but their weight destroyed my left knee. Somewhere in the wreckage I remember hyper extending my knee . Anyways, I felt okay and tried to stand up. With absolutely no resistance my knee gives out. I'm in the middle of a field with this dull droning pain burning like fire. "Get the car, dude."
Off to Kaiser urgent care for some X-ray action. No fracture and excellent joint clearance. Severe sprain is the diagnosis.
Feels really heavy and extremely tight. I have been in an immobilizer for 24hrs and the stiffness is incredible.
As far as pain, when it happened 8 out of 10. Now its about a 3 with 2 Vicodin every 8hrs.
Going to be doing my own physical therapy here at home. What do you recommend?

Keep the dog tied up .... :noidea:....or...feed him less and when it comess time to replace him (hopefully NOT in near future) consider a smaller dog ... :prof:

Get well soon!