2 Stroke 94rm80 bogs/stalls 4th 5th gear

SRAD97750

Staff member
I've got $200 and the time/patience to fix it. You deliver.
On a serious note, It is carburetion issues if it only happens in 'certain gears.'
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Well I just tan it round the yard again for about 10minutes or so... In 1-3rd gear and it ran perfectly, not one bog, then suddenly it started doing it again, pull the throttle, even in neutral, suddenly it bogs ND tries to die till I let go of throttle again.

Everything I've read so far says it was stator or other electronic problems, the stator dying out as it warms up. Would explain wet plug, getting lower spark as the bike warms up and getting smothered out?

Pulled the magneto cover off and it looks pretty bad, dirty and rusty, but I am absolutely new to this so....

I'm guessing running straight down the road and going through all gears on a straightaway is just warming it up faster to hit the point were it does this?

Also rereading my previous comment I didn't mean it like it sounds rereading, a lot of the info posted here has helped.

Keep the bike. You'll figure it out.
I have a YZ250 that is having similar issues, and like you I have gotten much advice from the guys here. Slowly but surely I am dialing it in.
But if you must give up, I've got $225.00...:thumb:

Come on now, I've checked the Petcock and lines. Cleaned the carb jets and ports, float bowl, taken out the slide and sprayed cleaner throughout all the main ports of the carb, and adjusted the float tang both up and down and dead center. I don't get it.

Just got a fresh can of carbon cleaner and sprayed around the head gasket, idle immediately goes up.

Are the 20-30 dollar complete engine gasket kits any good?

Have you rechecked the head bolts torque?
Might get lucky and maybe they just weren't tight?
I bought a basket case KLX where the dude said it didn't have any compression. When I got it home I found he didn't have a single head bolt in it at all...

Last edited:
Nevermind... Guess I was wrong. Just a fluke from sporadic idling from clogged carb fuel intake?

Just cleaned the carb again earlier using a new can of carb cleaner, with the straw this time, allowed me to spray directly into all the ports this time including the fuel intake, immediately flooded the bike the time I tried to start it, took out the spark plug and kicked it a few times to clear the cylinder and readjusted the float again. After doing that about 3 times its running great! Ran up the road twice not one bog

Thanks a lot for all the help...

Nevermind... Guess I was wrong. Just a fluke from sporadic idling from clogged carb fuel intake?

Just cleaned the carb again earlier using a new can of carb cleaner, with the straw this time, allowed me to spray directly into all the ports this time including the fuel intake, immediately flooded the bike the time I tried to start it, took out the spark plug and kicked it a few times to clear the cylinder and readjusted the float again. After doing that about 3 times its running great! Ran up the road twice not one bog

Thanks a lot for all the help...

That's why we tell you to clean it 3 times.
You still need to set that float in order for it to jet right.
Glad to hear it's running well. :thumb::ride:

Well it was. Went up the road and back twice without a hiccup after running around the yard for several minutes. Let it sit about 30minutes and tried down the road again, right back to the same old shit.

Think it's crap in the gas tank getting in and clogging it up.?

That was about the 4tg time I've cleaned it though.

This piece of shit, drained the gas tank, cleaned all the shit out, cleaned the Petcock, put in New fuel lines, put in an inline fuel filter, recleaned the carbon again, got 2gallpns of fresh fuel and mixed it 32:1. Ran it around the yard a few minutez, went up the road, all was great, it was flying, nothing holding back at all, then suddenly same old shit.

Also just changed the oil last night and its Grey now. Not missing any coolant though.

Last edited:
This piece of shit, drained the gas tank, cleaned all the shit out, cleaned the Petcock, put in New fuel lines, put in an inline fuel filter, recleaned the carbon again, got 2gallpns of fresh fuel and mixed it 32:1. Ran it around the yard a few minutez, went up the road, all was great, it was flying, nothing holding back at all, then suddenly same old shit.

Also just changed the oil last night and its Grey now. Not missing any coolant though.

Like a frothy chocolate milkshake?
Throw out the inline filter. It will restrict fuel flow and even certain brands will thin out the oil mixture. You have junk getting into the carb somehow. What does the air filter look like? Clean? Well oiled? Is it starting to peel apart on the inside?

I cleaned and oiled the air cleaner last week when I initially changed the clutch.

Oil was Grey, no darkness at all, was green when I put it in last night. Not missing any coolant though.

I'll try remove the fuel filter now, I think most crap is out of the tank.

What about the check valve in the fuel line, anyway to run without it? Without flooding? I've cleaned it out several times too.

It's running a hell of a lot better now, going really fast surprised by how fast it is, until that dreaded bluh bluh bluh sound and stall.

I just don't know, no crud in carb now, still wants to do it, I can go down road now a couple times before bluh bluh bluh. Dead.

Coil? I swear everything I've read where stator coil was bad is spot on same issue I'm having...