125 89 YZ125

The idea was to cobble something cool and unusual together with what is on-hand and available, but I do like the electric start idea.

I know a guy that put a KXfihunnit, in his YZ250 frame because it had a street title, then he tried to sale it. He still has it and that was 2 years ago.

Back to this old bike, the yz125.
Update - I found another bike thats in better shape, so this one is now becoming the parts bike. The "new" bike is a 1990 model so between the 2 of them it wont take much to get a running bike. 88-91 are the same from what I've found.
I'm having trouble finding some parts at the usual locations and thought I would start here. Probably do a FB post too.
I need -
Front brakes - Caliper to lever
Fork sliders & top clamps - everything on ebay is shit and no-where near its original white. I might even entertain the idea of a complete front end off another YZ provided it was do-able.
Also - Same question with my other post with the 01 YZ125 project I have going - Reeds?
Any one better than another?

Anyhoo, I think I have everything else. I realize I'm looking for a couple needles in a haystack so I expect nothing, but I gotta put out the feelers.

Last edited:
Back to this old bike, the yz125.
Update - I found another bike thats in better shape, so this one is now becoming the parts bike. The "new" bike is a 1990 model so between the 2 of them it wont take much to get a running bike. 88-91 are the same from what I've found.
I'm having trouble finding some parts at the usual locations and thought I would start here. Probably do a FB post too.
I need -
Front brakes - Caliper to lever
Fork sliders & top clamps - everything on ebay is shit and no-where near its original white. I might even entertain the idea of a complete front end off another YZ provided it was do-able.
Also - Same question with my other post with the 01 YZ125 project I have going - Reeds?
Any one better than another?

Anyhoo, I think I have everything else. I realize I'm looking for a couple needles in a haystack so I expect nothing, but I gotta put out the feelers.

DC Plastics will have some retro parts and plastics.
Reeds...boysen reeds accept no others.

eBay searches and google searches for old ya parts. That’s what I do for mine.

DC Plastics, cool.
Okay Boyeson question part 2 - which ones? I've seen at least 2 options. Is one better than the other? Like if I spend the extra 10 bucks am I gonna notice it?
I'm all over ebay, not much there.
Craigslist neither.

DC Plastics, cool.
Okay Boyeson question part 2 - which ones? I've seen at least 2 options. Is one better than the other? Like if I spend the extra 10 bucks am I gonna notice it?
I'm all over ebay, not much there.
Craigslist neither.

Either one will work with the boysen. I normally just buy the power reeds. Don’t forget your blue loctite on the reed screws or bad stuff happens fast.

You need to be patient with the old parts. eBay will prevail.

I have run the VForce3 cage and reeds in my old 03 YZ250. What a diff it made.

From the site a whole new cage and reed kit is $158 ($60 for just the reeds). I'm sure you can probably find them cheaper, but it is a good investment.

I will probably put the VForce4 in my 300

Last edited:
I have run the VForce3 cage and reeds in my old 03 YZ250. What a diff it made.

From the site a whole new cage and reed kit is $158 ($60 for just the reeds). I'm sure you can probably find them cheaper, but it is a good investment.

I will probably put the VForce4 in my 300

I forgot about them.
Had those on my KX250 and it really woke up the mid to top end on it.

Need some help with this carb. I'm trying to order parts for it but I dont know how to ID it. The measurements dont match what the Mikuni website says.
My measurements are:
A - 40mm
B - 76.5 mm
D - 62 mm
Mikuni TM.png 100_3283r.JPG

I’m wondering that if you sold everything you have bike wise lock,stock and barrel that you would probably get 2 brand new bikes in the paddock.
Sorry I think sometimes.
How many bikes do you have?

I’m wondering that if you sold everything you have bike wise lock,stock and barrel that you would probably get 2 brand new bikes in the paddock.
Sorry I think sometimes.
How many bikes do you have?
I just sold the TTR90 a couple hours ago, so I think I have around 10 now. And while that assertion may or may not be true, I would rather have 10 bikes than 2. I can think of at least 3-4 different reasons to have 3-4 different bikes available for use.

But here's the real question - WTF would I tinker with if I had 2 brand new bikes? I need to have a motorcycle in a state of disrepair in my life!

Last edited:
I just sold the TTR90 a couple hours ago, so I think I have around 10 now. And while that assertion may or may not be true, I would rather have 10 bikes than 2. I can think of at least 3-4 different reasons to have 3-4 different bikes available for use.

But here's the real question ' WTF would I tinker with if I had 2 brand new bikes?

I have 8. All run. I need to thin my herd.

I have 8. All run. I need to thin my herd.
I can appreciate that, especially if you're tight on space, like I am.
I'm happy to have the ttr gone. It free's up space and now I can get the kiddo's YZ125 going proper. Pretty sure I dont need more than 10 bikes anymore though. Unless, you know, its a good deal, lol!