125 89 YZ125

I went and did it again, I bought another basket-case. :bonk:.
1989 YZ125.jpg

This thing was nearly free and it came with a stand, and 2 new tires. I couldn't say no. It's been pondered that this could be the "in-between" bike for the kiddo that we were discussing in another thread. Plus its cool looking :-)

It does however need a bunch of stuff, is missing many things (dude before was doing some kind of resto) and I am sure eBay will be used plenty.
But I thought I would throw in here for y'all first to see if by chance any of ya got some parts that would work that might be collecting dust and taking up space. Or know somebody who knows somebody that has a...
- silencer
- airbox
- sub-frame bar
- carburetor and throttle assembly
- front brake caliper, hose, master cylinder, handle
- rear brake master cyl, hose, and caliper
- radiator & hosing
- mud flap
- number plate
- ignition coil

PM me if necessary, thanks!

Anybody know if this carb will work? It's off a 99-02 yz250.
Its got the TPS, would that be an issue?
Price is right and so is the location...
f1d6432405234052b46c4fdd0ccc97f1.jpg

As long as it is long enough and has the right MM inlet/outlet. TPS can be unplugged. It's what everyone does when they run a Smartcarb or Lectron.

250 and onto a 125, cancelling the mid-range richening of the solenoid you will be looking for a different needle.
And thats why I come here...awesome info from the brightest minds in dirtbikes! Thank you!
Finding a different needle sounds like finding the proper one in a haystack, no pun intended.

And thats why I come here...awesome info from the brightest minds in dirtbikes! Thank you!
Finding a different needle sounds like finding the proper one in a haystack, no pun intended.

Finding needles is a full time job unless you have a benchmark like the oem needle it can be time consuming and expensive.
I would part out that 125 and put the squish into the newer 125.

Finding needles is a full time job unless you have a benchmark like the oem needle it can be time consuming and expensive.
It didn't take me long to figure that out. And if I remember correctly those things aren't cheap, like $25.00 a pop. Wouldn't be any problem to steal the tires off this thing and throw it back for sale. I probably wont though unless I need to.

What'll probably happen is I'll spend way too much money fixing it, then sell it for even, maybe a little under (we'll call that the cost of riding it) to one of the ADVRA guys in town.
They're nuts about these things.
Went to the track yesterday and they had a race happening. It was quite cool. There were probably 250 vintage bikes there.

It didn't take me long to figure that out. And if I remember correctly those things aren't cheap, like $25.00 a pop. Wouldn't be any problem to steal the tires off this thing and throw it back for sale. I probably wont though unless I need to.

What'll probably happen is I'll spend way too much money fixing it, then sell it for even, maybe a little under (we'll call that the cost of riding it) to one of the ADVRA guys in town.
They're nuts about these things.
Went to the track yesterday and they had a race happening. It was quite cool. There were probably 250 vintage bikes there.

Where do you find all this free time?
I have an 85 yz125 and an 81 rm125. Both run and both about 75% restored. They sit in the shed with nothing to do except get in the way.

Where do you find all this free time?
I have an 85 yz125 and an 81 rm125. Both run and both about 75% restored. They sit in the shed with nothing to do except get in the way.
Probably has the squish like Pat. Yah know, able to chase a dimpled ball anythime he wants... :smirk:

Why not buy a whole bike with the 225 6 speed and an electric start? Then put it into a 250 frame from the early 90's as it is an easier fit.

Why not buy a whole bike with the 225 6 speed and an electric start? Then put it into a 250 frame from the early 90's as it is an easier fit.
The idea was to cobble something cool and unusual together with what is on-hand and available, but I do like the electric start idea.

you have the 400 dollar freshly painted 200 hundred on hand? I wasn't aware of that. Is this something you have to get done fast so that you can ride it to work, go to the hospital, or evacuate the area due to fire, bombs, terrorist attack(s)?