RM125 79 rm125 project

great thread. Got some good info. Will I be able to find a jet to replace mine if its not the right size? Is it a universal thread or is this something else I need to hunt down that is 79 specific?

if your plug looks choco milk color you should be good... if its dark you go leaner, light go richer.. what are you mixing your gas at? I posted a thread names 'questions about jetting', James gave me a link to the best jetting and mixing info you could possibly read.. click on view all my topics, and read it :D
Now that I think about it. The color of the plug reminds me of my nitro RC days.

Your best bet is to get a compression tester... That will tell you were you are ....

If you plan on keeping the bike for any amount of time.. I'd probably throw a top end on it and call it good.

Sparkplug.jpg

What you are looking for. (Look at the casing around center electrode.. You will need to get a flashlight and look down in there as far as you can.) You don't want it white.

If its whiter.. That means leaner.. (You dont want that.. Its fatal to the engine)

Blacker is richer..... (Its not bad on the engine.. Just a bit harder to start.. And lower on performance)

Your best bet is to get a compression tester... That will tell you were you are ....

If you plan on keeping the bike for any amount of time.. I'd probably throw a top end on it and call it good.
Oh yeah. I forgot about that. I believe I have a tester in my toolbox. Thanks for the heads up! Back to my question about the jets. Can I find these at any shop? Or do I need to look for a 79 specific jet? I sure hope not. One more thing. The throttle return spring inside the Carb. Can I replace that as well? It doesn't seem that the throttle returns to zero fast enough when I let off of it. Or is that caused by old grips?

Oh yeah. I forgot about that. I believe I have a tester in my toolbox. Thanks for the heads up! Back to my question about the jets. Can I find these at any shop? Or do I need to look for a 79 specific jet? I sure hope not. One more thing. The throttle return spring inside the Carb. Can I replace that as well? It doesn't seem that the throttle returns to zero fast enough when I let off of it. Or is that caused by old grips?
pull the throttle off the bars, and clean the shit out of the inside of the tube and the bars where it goes on.. then use some good slick grease or silicone spray ( sil spray works good for me, but I clean it and lube it often, grease lasts longer) and invest in a 'cable luber' :lol::lol::lol: it might have a tech name but thats what I call it... I've had the same anodized green one from the kawi shop since I was a liiitttle kid :D <br>
the grip has nothing to do with it, which you'll see once you take it apart

A compression tester will not tell you if the main seals are good. To do that, you need a leak down tester. Being that the bike is so old, I would just do the main seals regardless, and not even spend the money on a leak down tool. If the left side seal is bad, the bike will be lean and hard to start. If the right side is bad, you will oil foul plugs, and it will be hard to start. Both of these can happen, even if your jetting is right, and being seals should be about $15, it's money well spent to eliminate potential problems in the long run.:noidea:

Jets.... Make sure your jets are clean... And blow out every passage in the carb. Make sure everything is clean and free flowing...

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/8 Schematic will help you alot.

The lag on the return could be the grips holding it... Or bad cable... Or the throttle assembly itsself..... Take it apart and lube and clean everything...