500cc's of Glory on youtube

I'm a busy guy, contrary to popular belief, and the free time for me to go out, ride, evaluate a bike that I'm not going to own is a scarce commodity. I've got no problem with riding one, just have to find a day where its a sunday funday ride day and I'm not out there working on trying to be faster.

I will offer you a rather long and boring story though, I got my start in racing thanks to an old local vet, at one point he had an ama pro license, but he just comes out to the local track to punk the hotshot kids (like myself) now a days, real nice guy. When I was 14/15 they were just starting up the local mx track again with monthly races, at the time I had an old beat up XR250R that was junk, not the best bike to pound motos on. He owned a first generation yz250f that he hardly rode and offered it to me provided I'd cover any repairs to it, I didn't do too hot that summer, but I didn't care, I was racing because of his generosity. Since then I've owned my own bikes, 01 wr250f, 05 crf250r (The bro edition) and had lots of fun just enjoying riding and racing and the good ol light hearted fun, whenever its come time to purchase a new bike I've had the opportunity to ride basically all the ones in the category I'm looking for, when I bought the CRF, I rode a then current YZ-F, RM-Z, KX-F, and even though I was a complete honda hater at the time, I couldn't really deny that the red one felt right. So I bought that one, won an arenacross race on it (granted in the C class) a week after I bought it, raced the local mx series on it in B class per request of the promoter, had a fantastic year, at one point I jumped the gate like a dumbass and still came back to win a 30+2 moto. Won a desert race on it, raced all of last year in a dry spell with less than spectacular results, raced this year and after putting in work both on a mountain bike and at the gym I'm competitive again am finally doing well again, and the time I'll be on a 250f is slowly ticking down, so guess what? I'm calling up people I know so that I can ride different 450's and find the one thats got the magic my honda did.
That same local pro that lent me that old YZ250F gets 2 new bikes every 4 years, as of recent, they've been kawis. After riding the reverse cylinder YZ450F, the then current 2009-2012 CRF450R, a KTM Dungey edition, and a RMZ450, I rode his 2010 Kawi. After one lap I was so damn happy with it I couldn't see straight, and it didn't even have my suspension settings, it was a monster hp wise, anything you wanted to do you could do, it was very forgiving turning and suspension wise, gear box wasn't what I was used to but figuring out gearing is always in the equation, one lap and I knew that was the bike.

Its not so much the color of the bike or how many strokes it has, its feeling, when its right you know it and theres no point in owning anything else. So when I say I'll never own a CR500 or KX500, steel or AF, its not a personal insult or me telling you your bike sucks, its just a matter of its not for me and to each their own, you and 2strokesteve would probably look at the honda that I love so much and think what a piece of shit.
Thanks for the not so boring story......by the way I don't think any bike is a piece of shit....if a guy likes it I don't care...I was raised on 2 strokes I don't race anymore, so I go for the fun ride, the one I like, doesn't matter to me if I'm faster than another bike, it's the one I wanna ride, the 4 strokes are amazing machines.....just don't get it for me.

I'm a busy guy, contrary to popular belief, and the free time for me to go out, ride, evaluate a bike that I'm not going to own is a scarce commodity. I've got no problem with riding one, just have to find a day where its a sunday funday ride day and I'm not out there working on trying to be faster.

I will offer you a rather long and boring story though, I got my start in racing thanks to an old local vet, at one point he had an ama pro license, but he just comes out to the local track to punk the hotshot kids (like myself) now a days, real nice guy. When I was 14/15 they were just starting up the local mx track again with monthly races, at the time I had an old beat up XR250R that was junk, not the best bike to pound motos on. He owned a first generation yz250f that he hardly rode and offered it to me provided I'd cover any repairs to it, I didn't do too hot that summer, but I didn't care, I was racing because of his generosity. Since then I've owned my own bikes, 01 wr250f, 05 crf250r (The bro edition) and had lots of fun just enjoying riding and racing and the good ol light hearted fun, whenever its come time to purchase a new bike I've had the opportunity to ride basically all the ones in the category I'm looking for, when I bought the CRF, I rode a then current YZ-F, RM-Z, KX-F, and even though I was a complete honda hater at the time, I couldn't really deny that the red one felt right. So I bought that one, won an arenacross race on it (granted in the C class) a week after I bought it, raced the local mx series on it in B class per request of the promoter, had a fantastic year, at one point I jumped the gate like a dumbass and still came back to win a 30+2 moto. Won a desert race on it, raced all of last year in a dry spell with less than spectacular results, raced this year and after putting in work both on a mountain bike and at the gym I'm competitive again am finally doing well again, and the time I'll be on a 250f is slowly ticking down, so guess what? I'm calling up people I know so that I can ride different 450's and find the one thats got the magic my honda did.
That same local pro that lent me that old YZ250F gets 2 new bikes every 4 years, as of recent, they've been kawis. After riding the reverse cylinder YZ450F, the then current 2009-2012 CRF450R, a KTM Dungey edition, and a RMZ450, I rode his 2010 Kawi. After one lap I was so damn happy with it I couldn't see straight, and it didn't even have my suspension settings, it was a monster hp wise, anything you wanted to do you could do, it was very forgiving turning and suspension wise, gear box wasn't what I was used to but figuring out gearing is always in the equation, one lap and I knew that was the bike.

Its not so much the color of the bike or how many strokes it has, its feeling, when its right you know it and theres no point in owning anything else. So when I say I'll never own a CR500 or KX500, steel or AF, its not a personal insult or me telling you your bike sucks, its just a matter of its not for me and to each their own, you and 2strokesteve would probably look at the honda that I love so much and think what a piece of shit.
Not boring at all. Very well said. Lets here some more.

oh and on the topic of Destry Abbott, I went out to Lake Havasu a couple years back for the Worcs race, watching Destry pound out laps just a smidge off the podium even though he had 10 years on most everyone out there on one of the roughest courses there is was amazing, and then after he's put in 2+hours in temps around 100 on that course he hangs out in the pits and takes the time to make every one that might stumble by his pits feel at home.
Destry's 110% living legend, I was reading a deal the other day where he doesn't keep trophies aside from his championship trophies, even his 1st place ones, he's given them all to kids :thumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q75NpIkzcxc
Have you seen the article in the June 2014 issue of Dirt Bike magazine? Next time you pass a news stand grab an issue and buy it. Read pages 42-48. You might like that article as well.
Oh and by the way do not forget about this amazing bike.
http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-...kx500ktm-250sx-hybrid-two-stroke-project-bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q75NpIkzcxc
Have you seen the article in the June 2014 issue of Dirt Bike magazine? Next time you pass a news stand grab an issue and buy it. Read pages 42-48. You might like that article as well.
Oh and by the way do not forget about this amazing bike.
http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-...kx500ktm-250sx-hybrid-two-stroke-project-bike
I posted that a while back, its nice to see something of yesteryear kept alive, not sitting on a stand but rather being used like it was supposed to be.

This pretty much makes the article useless....It should read we didn't chose it cause we didn't think it was the better choice, but it doesn't say that (cause it prolly would be the better choice):smirk:

"One important caveat in the dream-bike scenario is that the bike cannot have a 450cc four-stroke engine. Why would it? Four-strokes are readily available and thus not dreamy enough.":picard::stick: