4 stroke durability

James

Staff member
it was overheating from the detonation, never heard it run personally. But the shop that is doing it builds GNCC motors for Suzuki so i would imagine they know what they're talking about.
That was at Jos and him running 87, I did quote him. :P

For the record I run 93.

the piston will start to develop slop and rock back and forth in the cylinder distorting it is what I have been told, I've never actually ran one long enough to find out
how would that work? Some cars can go 300,000 miles without developing sloppiness. I know they don't rev as often or high but I bet the piston has made more strokes than a bike with 50 hours on it... I think, I'm not really feeling like doing the math haha

I use a clean filter already every ride even if I only rode for ten minutes that day. I'm paranoid about maintenance because I will spend the little bucks to keep it running rather than neglect it and go down big bucks when it breaks. So your saying I should change the piston every X amount of hours following the operators manual, even if it is running fine when the time comes to change it according to the manual?:noidea:

The engineers pretty much have this down to the exact hour. If your manual says 50 hrs you can get away with 60 or so hrs unless you are just hauling the mail. Same goes for the valves. There are a lot of nay sayers about how long you should run pistons and change valves but the manufacturer gives you a time table and a spec sheet for reason and they really don't just pull these numbers out of their ass.

how would that work? Some cars can go 300,000 miles without developing sloppiness. I know they don't rev as often or high but I bet the piston has made more strokes than a bike with 50 hours on it... I think, I'm not really feeling like doing the math haha
different metals, higher revs, higher operating temps etc. etc. etc. get put into a race engine than your everyday passenger car, a 250f is more akin to a F1 car than a toyota corrola, the F1 car gets the motor completely overhauled every race. Which is real close to what Honda and the others recommend for a 250f thats ridden by a top level guy.
The general consensus that I've found on the internet (which people on the internet are most certainly never wrong btw) is that for us mortals a top end every 50 hours for a 250f is considered proper upkeep

They made 2 stroke diesels for semi's and loaders back in the day that go for over a million miles. Doesn't mean i can do that on my KX. 2 Completely different machines

Challenge???
This trolling stuff is kinda fun :devil:
XZIBIT-LOL-Why-you-mad-thou.jpg