4 stroke durability

Well, this fall I might want to sell my beloved 2010 yz125, and my 2004 FZ1. I :drool: for fuel injection. I am more comfortable with 4 strokes because I am used to working on cars. I want to get a 2013 kx250f, crf250r, or rmz250. I would keep it stock, maybe put a slip-on on it. If I changed the oil every three rides, and made sure my valves were within specification, how many hours do you think I could get out of the piston?

James

Staff member
Well, this fall I might want to sell my beloved 2010 yz125, and my 2004 FZ1. I :drool: for fuel injection. I am more comfortable with 4 strokes because I am used to working on cars. I want to get a 2013 kx250f, crf250r, or rmz250. I would keep it stock, maybe put a slip-on on it. If I changed the oil every three rides, and made sure my valves were within specification, how many hours do you think I could get out of the piston?
30-50 hours, depends on your riding style. Marty said he changes Denver's every ~15 hours but you don't ride like him. :lol:

Depends on how you ride the bike and kind of what the manual says. I think my manual says change piston at 105 or 150 hours. But my local KTM dealers say that if I'm no racer (which by no means am I) it last over 200hrs.

I like snowflake's answer the best! I think 150 hours seems a little unrealistic... But, I'm not the one that owns a 4 stroke either. I just feel like that would be A LOT of time on one piston.

Heed this warning,
If you don't:
clean your airfilters every ride
change your oil frequently
stay on top of you maintenance,
perform quality maintenance
keep accurate sevice records.....
You will have nothing but problems.
Follow you manufacturers service recommendations when it comes to changing pistons and valves etc etc... You can probably get more out of a piston and rings than say someone like Monkeyboy... who races and rides on the revlimiter..
Good luck:thumb:

I use a clean filter already every ride even if I only rode for ten minutes that day. I'm paranoid about maintenance because I will spend the little bucks to keep it running rather than neglect it and go down big bucks when it breaks. So your saying I should change the piston every X amount of hours following the operators manual, even if it is running fine when the time comes to change it according to the manual?:noidea:

I use a clean filter already every ride even if I only rode for ten minutes that day. I'm paranoid about maintenance because I will spend the little bucks to keep it running rather than neglect it and go down big bucks when it breaks. So your saying I should change the piston every X amount of hours following the operators manual, even if it is running fine when the time comes to change it according to the manual?:noidea:
your manual will probably say to change it at 15hrs..... not what an average rider needs.

I like snowflake's answer the best! I think 150 hours seems a little unrealistic... But, I'm not the one that owns a 4 stroke either. I just feel like that would be A LOT of time on one piston.
he's talking a big bore ktm, a 250f should really be changed 50-60 max

But what will happen if I don't change it but it runs fine? Do I risk blowing a rod bearing or something?
the piston will start to develop slop and rock back and forth in the cylinder distorting it is what I have been told, I've never actually ran one long enough to find out

the piston will start to develop slop and rock back and forth in the cylinder distorting it is what I have been told, I've never actually ran one long enough to find out
I have a guy from work with an ltr450 that ran too low grade of pump gas and let his piston go too long. I'll see if i can find any pictures, but it was BADDDDD