250 2006 YZ250

I’ve been using the Golden Tyre fatty lately and liking it. It grips really well and doesn’t want to slide out in the turns. I’m riding in soft, sandy terrain. A lot rocks thrown in also. I’m not sure how good of a track tire it is, but I don’t think the fatty size would be the best for MX.

I really like this one for soft dirt sand mx

FOy26SV.jpg

Michelin S12

My back is good now.
But the bike...
Questions;
1 - ACP rocks! But I have zero faith in my front MX51, it kept sliding out in corners. I want a very meaty front tire, what do the pros run? I want aggressive side knobs. I've seen them, just dont know what they are...
2 - My rear tire concerns me as well. Is there a difference in 2T tires compared to 4T tires? I'm thinking there must be...
I'm thinking I have the wrong tires on this thing.

1: you will never get the same tire the pros run. Here’s a reason why they cut them in half when they remove them. Not a fan of the Dunlop geomax tires. The tire depends on the bike and the rider. I loved Kenda Carlsbad’s on my KX but they were horrible on my Suzuki. Try the maxxis but chances are you might not like them either. Tire pressure also plays a role in this as well as front suspension.
2: no difference in tires. Again, suspension and tire pressure play a major role in how a tire performs.

3: IMO I think your issues are in your suspension being way whacked, tire pressure or in your head.
When standing on the left side(shifter side) of the bike hold both grips. Then take your right foot and press down on the left peg. The bike should sink evenly. If not you have a balance issue. Start with adjusting the compression.
Also what I do is throughout the change process I take notes. Tire brand, tire pressure, local temperature, type of terrain.
Example: Maxxis @10.5psi @82* with rutted clay hard pack and mulched loamy turns.
Then do the same for the suspension.
Track/Sleepy Hollow 9/14/09
Front: comp@13clix, RE @12 clix, 0il 5w@ 355cc.
Rear: comp @10clix,RE@14, static/30mm, sag105. * up one click on comp after Moto1.+
Dirt: rutted clayjumps with sand base straights. Loamy deep
rutted turns w/excessive braking bumps at entrance and exit. Blue groove on off cambers. Grade: moderate

Jetting: 50/50c12 and pump, 30:1
Morning: 72* humid, elevation, 830, 168 main, middle clip 48 pilot, air 1.5 out.
Mid day: 87* humid, 167 main, middle clip, pilot 46, air 1 turn out.

If you want to get more evolved start making records of what you eat the night before, then breakfast along with snacks and liquid intake.

It makes a difference.

Last edited:
1: you will never get the same tire the pros run. Here’s a reason why they cut them in half when they remove them. Not a fan of the Dunlop geomax tires. The tire depends on the bike and the rider. I loved Kenda Carlsbad’s on my KX but they were horrible on my Suzuki. Try the maxxis but chances are you might not like them either. Tire pressure also plays a role in this as well as front suspension.
2: no difference in tires. Again, suspension and tire pressure play a major role in how a tire performs.

3: IMO I think your issues are in your suspension being way whacked, tire pressure or in your head.
When standing on the left side(shifter side) of the bike hold both grips. Then take your right foot and press down on the left peg. The bike should sink evenly. If not you have a balance issue. Start with adjusting the compression.
Also what I do is throughout the change process I take notes. Tire brand, tire pressure, local temperature, type of terrain.
Example: Maxxis @10.5psi @82* with rutted clay hard pack and mulched loamy turns.
Then do the same for the suspension.
Track/Sleepy Hollow 9/14/09
Front: comp@13clix, RE @12 clix, 0il 5w@ 355cc.
Rear: comp @10clix,RE@14, static/30mm, sag105. * up one click on comp after Moto1.+
Dirt: rutted clayjumps with sand base straights. Loamy deep
rutted turns w/excessive braking bumps at entrance and exit. Blue groove on off cambers. Grade: moderate

Jetting: 50/50c12 and pump, 30:1
Morning: 72* humid, elevation, 830, 168 main, middle clip 48 pilot, air 1.5 out.
Mid day: 87* humid, 167 main, middle clip, pilot 46, air 1 turn out.

If you want to get more evolved start making records of what you eat the night before, then breakfast along with snacks and liquid intake.

It makes a difference.
Wow that's some good sound knowledge!:prof::thumb:
Too much information for me to absorb on a Sunday morning :faint::smirk:

I always inspect what I ate the night before.
And I’m not sure how, but sometimes I manage to get some on my thumb.
Just too much information:poke::jawdrop::lol:

My back is good now.
But the bike...
Questions;
1 - ACP rocks! But I have zero faith in my front MX51, it kept sliding out in corners. I want a very meaty front tire, what do the pros run? I want aggressive side knobs. I've seen them, just dont know what they are...
2 - My rear tire concerns me as well. Is there a difference in 2T tires compared to 4T tires? I'm thinking there must be...
I'm thinking I have the wrong tires on this thing.

MX 33, as long as they are available I’ll not put anything else on the front, can’t say I’ve ever ran a better front tire. I ride a lot of woods type stuff, it works particularly well on wet slimy clay. I usually in those conditions set the front at 9 to 11 psi.

I do pay attention to this. I grabbed a couple Jack In The Box breakfast Jacks on the way to the track. About half-way there I had a headache. Pure garbage.

$77.09 at RMATV. 5 in stock.
More like 130$ by the time you include freight. I can buy them local for $110ish .