4 Stroke 2004 KTM 450 MXC Dualsport/Supermoto

What does it take to break a hub like that? Impacts on boulders at racing speeds, casting flaws, or a weak design? I've put wheels through years of trail riding hell and I've never seen a busted hub. Rims are a different story.

What does it take to break a hub like that? Impacts on boulders at racing speeds, casting flaws, or a weak design? I've put wheels through years of trail riding hell and I've never seen a busted hub. Rims are a different story.

I think the previous owner would bend the rim or something and then tighten the spokes to compensate for the wobble and over a period of time the tension from the spokes cracked the hub. And the Boulder bashing at high speeds probably helped a bit.

I have never seen anything like it either. I was pretty upset when I found it.

-Brock
powersportjunkie.com
shoppsj.com

I am bringing this thread back from the dead. Got a wild hair today to start back on the dualsport project. First off I ordered a new wheel on friday so she should be back on two feet by the end of the week.

One thing that was bothering me was the out dated FMF can that was on this bike. It just made the bike look old in my opinion. Since this is an RFS motor it is hard to find aftermarket exhaust systems because nobody makes them anymore. So I took one of my spare DR.D mufflers for our race bike and decided I was going to make my own system for this bike.

I still have to come up with an exhaust mount for the muffler and the mid pipe by the kick stater. This is a mock up out of mild steel. IF I like it I will probably make a finished system out of stainless. I am going to tackle the header later on as I don't have a collector or the small diameter pipe.

pipe.JPG

This is how it sits as I type this.. I was getting a little hot and decided to come in a take a little break.

pipe2.JPG

A guy this weekend rode his 450 exc 250 miles to the dunes, rode hard 2 days with no paddle tire, then rode 250 miles back. Thatbike was a beast

SO I completely lost interest in this bike and ended up selling it. when I sold it I told the customer what I had planned to do with the bike and he seemed interested. Well long story short he called me up and asked it I would finish the dual sport conversion for him. I was reluctant at first because I dont like working for other people when it comes to building bikes. I ended up taking the bike in and finishing the build. Here are the finished pictures. Nothing to special just mounted a DRZ tail light and blinkers. Also added the trailtech voyager unit. I rode it up and down the street and I got to admit I have some sellers remorse.
photo 2-1a.JPG

photo 1-1a.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 3-1a.JPG

I mean Trail Tech. Vapor:rolleyes::lol:

The Voyager is GPS. it can track your ride and map it for you later. You can also download tracks to it and use it as GPS navigation. Also uses GPS speedometer so no need for a wheel speed sensor. Other that that is has all the options of the Vapor.

I have a set of super moto wheels and tires for sale.....They are the German KTM rims, chrome finish the oversized rotor, bracket, rear disc and sprocket......let me know.