85 1994 Kawasaki KX80 oil leak

Why is there so much oil in the exhaust?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
View attachment 28635 View attachment 28634 View attachment 28633 This is my '94 KX80 and it has a large, but very slow oil leak. It's coming from this hair stuff in the rear exhaust. This hair stuff is on the inside of the exhaust and one simple touch will get your finger covered in oil. What is happening and how do I stop it??? keep in mind that the large pool of oil was formed over a period of 2 weeks.

Now after posting a very well worded question and a pictorial to back up the question you have two ways to go. Most of us believe that anyone who can phrase things as well as you do probably can read well enough to work on and adjust/reset what really is one of the simplest of carburetors you will find propelling a vehicle. Some of us even believe that if you can handle a clutch and shifting gears you are old enough to take on the responsibility of doing that kind of work yourself. It really isn't as hard as some people seem to think, and quite a few people since I have been on the forum here have learned how to do it themselves.

The things suggested in first answer to your post are pretty much free. If I had to add anything to what Dan posted is that I would make sure that I had a screwdriver that fits those tiny screws well, as they are easy to round out. If you decide to try the other approach the biggest thing I could warn you about is backing the air screw out too far. They fall out when you are riding once they reach the point that the spring has inadequate pressure to hold the screw in place. As springs age in a compressed position they "sack" or lose pressure as I am sure you already know.

The other thing that keeps me from wanting to go far away from the factory settings on anything is the age old "why do I need to do this in the first place?" question. In this case I am confident that answer is in Dan's suggestion to set the float while you are cleaning the carburetor. All things that are free past what you charge yourself for your own time. In the end it could save you lost parts and the possibility of having to replace the spark plug more often. The things to gain, like a bike that runs better, and knowing you can fix things yourself rather than "rig" them is what the real payoff is. (My opinion of course.):ride::ride::ride::ride:

Last edited:
:) I do occasionaly have a few pints :)

I sometimes think the world would be a better place if everyone did that. The "wars" would be less likely to get past the parking lot. Think of what it would do to the world economy from brewing to bottling, to labeling, to transportation, to serving it all the way to the attorneys who handle the property division when someone files for divorce.

I just worry about what can happen when one day they wake up, realize how the world changed since they started blowing the noble flower and how much went by, and THEN go postal!! (with my apologies to letter carriers everywhere.)

That and I have a hard time convincing my young friends that they really got "dumber" since we met!!

I sometimes think the world would be a better place if everyone did that. The "wars" would be less likely to get past the parking lot. Think of what it would do to the world economy from brewing to bottling, to labeling, to transportation, to serving it all the way to the attorneys who handle the property division when someone files for divorce.

Or just green it and everyone can relax lol :pothead:
Both works for some!:devil:
Hey Andy, average pint over here is about £3 :jawdrop: :thumbsdown: And one reason why I only really:cheers: at home these days! 3 x 660 ml Stella Artois and I'm mixing up and derailing threads :picard:

Anyway,:focus: Kyle how's it going"

I just worry about what can happen when one day they wake up, realize how the world changed since they started blowing the noble flower and how much went by, and THEN go postal!! (with my apologies to letter carriers everywhere.)

That and I have a hard time convincing my young friends that they really got "dumber" since we met!!
I hear ya. I rarely partake nowadays. I can't ride aggressively and safely when I'm in the clouds lol. I used to be able to, or so I thought lol

Yeah, the price of a draft even keeps me at home for it. As miserly (ok niggardly) as I am, I still avoid my friends who became home brewers!!! Trust me I have no disdain for the people up here taking advantage of our new freedoms !! (marijuana was legalized recently here.) It is just they are so hard to convince that they are not really doing better, going faster, or getting better looking. Some of them have sadly found out that though state law changed, federal law and OSHA hasn't. Hence, jobs have been lost.

I hear ya. I rarely partake nowadays. I can't ride aggressively and safely when I'm in the clouds lol. I used to be able to, or so I thought lol

Hell most of the time I was singing on stage I was convinced it made me sound better. When all along the only thing that did make me sound better was alcohol. The reason that I didn't make more of that was that I was unable to find clubs that would over serve the patrons enough.

Hell most of the time I was singing on stage I was convinced it made me sound better. When all along the only thing that did make me sound better was alcohol. The reason that I didn't make more of that was that I was unable to find clubs that would over serve the patrons enough.
Bastards.....