85 1994 Kawasaki KX80 oil leak

Why is there so much oil in the exhaust?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg This is my '94 KX80 and it has a large, but very slow oil leak. It's coming from this hair stuff in the rear exhaust. This hair stuff is on the inside of the exhaust and one simple touch will get your finger covered in oil. What is happening and how do I stop it??? keep in mind that the large pool of oil was formed over a period of 2 weeks.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Overly rich condition causing oil buildup due to the combustion not consuming enough of it.
This is VERY common and can be fixed by cleaning your carburetor, setting the float properly and if need be, rejet the carburetor according to the throttle positions that give you a rich indication on a spark plug inspection.
Basically, too much fuel/oil is getting in the motor, which is why so much fuel/oil is coming out the other end.

If it smokes terribly and smells bad everytime, I suspect a crank seal has gone and is sucking transmission fluid into the engine.-BIG DAN:thumb:

View attachment 28635 View attachment 28634 View attachment 28633 This is my '94 KX80 and it has a large, but very slow oil leak. It's coming from this hair stuff in the rear exhaust. This hair stuff is on the inside of the exhaust and one simple touch will get your finger covered in oil. What is happening and how do I stop it??? keep in mind that the large pool of oil was formed over a period of 2 weeks.

Overly rich condition causing oil buildup due to the combustion not consuming enough of it.
This is VERY common and can be fixed by cleaning your carburetor, setting the float properly and if need be, rejet the carburetor according to the throttle positions that give you a rich indication on a spark plug inspection.
Basically, too much fuel/oil is getting in the motor, which is why so much fuel/oil is coming out the other end.

If it smokes terribly and smells bad everytime, I suspect a crank seal has gone and is sucking in transmission fluid into the engine.-BIG DAN:thumb:

Do. You have help ( family or friends who MX? Or tools and know how at hand?

Classic 2T mechanics 101 @SRAD97750 @2strokesteve89 no:noidea::thumb:

View attachment 28635 View attachment 28634 View attachment 28633 This is my '94 KX80 and it has a large, but very slow oil leak. It's coming from this hair stuff in the rear exhaust. This hair stuff is on the inside of the exhaust and one simple touch will get your finger covered in oil. What is happening and how do I stop it??? keep in mind that the large pool of oil was formed over a period of 2 weeks.

The "hair stuff" is what most of us call the packing of the silencer. You need to replace it. Commonly called repacking the silencer. The engine is designed to run best when the silencer is properly packed.

It sounds like the inner core of the silencer may have broken and allowing the packing to be in the exhaust opening which creates back pressure and collects the now over rich exhaust.
Take the silencer apart and repack if the center core is in good condition. If it is broken, replace the silencer.

Paw Paw

what fuel/oil mix are you running. you may be running it a bit rich. you need to be quite precise with this, not just guess. you can replace the muffler wadding(as others have suggested) quite simply. you just buy it in a sheet and when you wrap it in make sure its nice and tight. it is normal to get some oil in the exhaust but if its a huge amount i would start by looking at fuel/oil mix before tuning. also depends how you ride, nice and slow on a 2 stroke will cause this, they need to be up in band!

what fuel/oil mix are you running. you may be running it a bit rich. you need to be quite precise with this, not just guess. you can replace the muffler wadding(as others have suggested) quite simply. you just buy it in a sheet and when you wrap it in make sure its nice and tight. it is normal to get some oil in the exhaust but if its a huge amount i would start by looking at fuel/oil mix before tuning. also depends how you ride, nice and slow on a 2 stroke will cause this, they need to be up in band!

Yeah, I don't know what Dan was thinking. Heck it's a 94, what could it possibly need in the tuning dept? Not to knock a new member and being consistent in mixing is important if only for setup if nothing else, but looking for the broken part as was suggested and tuning is EXACTLY where I would start. Each to their own.:ride::ride::ride:

knock away andy! i wasnt having a go at Dan, but this guy seems to not know a lot re bikes and i thought he should start elsewhere before messing with carburetors. we all know they are not that simple. each to their own mate, if u like to jump into the deep end first when problem solving u keep doing that.
now pull ya nose out of dans arse and fuck off ya twat

Last edited:

SRAD97750

Staff member
knock away andy! i wasnt having a go at Dan, but this guy seems to not know a lot re bikes and i thought he should start elsewhere before messing with carburetors. we all know they are not that simple. each to their own mate, if u like to jump into the deep end first when problem solving u keep doing that.
This is by far one of the craziest posts I have ever read on DBA. I sat here for some time trying to figure out a response... No idea what to say... -BIG DAN:noidea:

Oh and PS: Playful banter is awesome and expected, but ANY abuse aimed at ANY member will not be tolerated. There is a "Report" button on every post.

well........2st carbs are very simple, but intimidating to the novice. It is also a part of dirt a bikes person needs to learn how to do. Everyone goes thru it and it just needs to be done unless you are rich enough to pay to have your work done....but of course that wont help a bit when you are on the trail and the carb needs to be taken apart to get back 20 miles to your truck.

Wowsers :wow: that's pretty cheeky from a newb! Not a good start pissing off a moderator ( Dan ) and a very well respected long term member:noidea: U need a :poke::argue:
That
Was
A
Troshus
!