250 1988 yz250 build

Already have a complete new bolt set so every bolt will be replaced with new oem type bolts that are supposed to be stronger
Excellent! Is it one of the generic bolt kits from fleabay? If it is they will not be stronger than the Oem bolts!
New OEM bolts wouldn't even be as strong as the 27 year old ones you took off the bike so watch how tight you go with reassembly!
Modern metals are way inferior to the original metals used in the 80's!
In some cases you might not be able to go new bolt so if you need to reuse some definitely get them replated!

Last edited:
Some of those kits are better than the others for sure. funny how in the 80's kaw was sourcing theirs from the best supplier. Then they must have decided to save a dollar per bike like the others.

Penny pinching in all the wrong places if you ask me although dirt bikes were never really meant to last a couple or a few decades anyway but you can quite easy put your back out trying to crack off an old linkage bolt before it would round on you, nowadays its more likely going to round or snap and leave you a bad case of ball ache!

Penny pinching in all the wrong places if you ask me although dirt bikes were never really meant to last a couple or a few decades anyway but you can quite easy put your back out trying to crack off an old linkage bolt before it would round on you, nowadays its more likely going to round or snap and leave you a bad case of ball ache!

Yeah.....but they are easier to drill out.

Excellent! Is it one of the generic bolt kits from fleabay? If it is they will not be stronger than the Oem bolts!
New OEM bolts wouldn't even be as strong as the 27 year old ones you took off the bike so watch how tight you go with reassembly!
Modern metals are way inferior to the original metals used in the 80's!
In some cases you might not be able to go new bolt so if you need to reuse some definitely get them replated!
I got the specbolt vintage Yamaha bolt set