Other 1982 Kawasaki KX80

I tend to think like that as well most days.
I sometimes wonder where these numbers come from. My buddy Dan with the 82 CR480 that we got running told me awhile back that his bike when fully restored was worth $7500. I told him he was smoking crack if he thought he could get that for it.

Right now I have a line on a OE Mikuni for it for $35.00, I offered $20.00. Either way it'll have a rebuilt OE carb soon for approx. $50.00, which brings me up to $125.00 total investment. Add in another $280 for plastics and I'll be right around $400.00.

Phoenix is a crazy market for bikes, just like trucks. They sell for more here.

The sky in Phoenix HAS to have turned as pink as a rose since I was last there (2011). I was looking at a few street bikes and they look reasonable in that neck of the woods. Like I need something else.

Another option would be to clean it up and get it looking good. Get it running and put the new plastics on. Then be patient and keep it around for a few years. Eventually you'll be able to make a profit on it. I think that the longer you wait, the more valuable it will be.

Another option would be to clean it up and get it looking good. Get it running and put the new plastics on. Then be patient and keep it around for a few years. Eventually you'll be able to make a profit on it. I think that the longer you wait, the more valuable it will be.
That is what is happening.
I just spent the last 2-3 weeks finding, buying, and waiting for, all the necessary pieces to give it a stock carb.
I just got the last of them tonight, threw some fuel into it, and it fired right up and rev's just like it should.
This thing is cool, it sounds badass, and it's near complete now. No missing parts except the silencer.

HOWEVER, it does appear to have the same upper ticking noise the YZ has, same sound of the video that M33 posted in my YZ thread, although not as bad. But now that I know that sound, I recognize it quicker.
Wrist pin bearing?
I'll be disassembling and rebuilding this thing as far as availability of parts allows.

As it sits, I got 250 into it, and it's damn cool.
Plastics are another 280, and a replica black with the Kawi green KX seat cover is another 60-70.
I have the O.E. fork wipers and seals ready to be installed.
Just need that stock silencer and she's a complete bike.

Last edited:
That is what is happening.
I just spent the last 2-3 weeks finding, buying, and waiting for, all the necessary pieces to give it a stock carb.
I just got the last of them tonight, threw some fuel into it, and it fired right up and rev's just like it should.
This thing is cool, it sounds badass, and it's near complete now. No missing parts except the silencer.

HOWEVER, it does appear to have the same upper ticking noise the YZ has, same sound of the video that M33 posted in my YZ thread, although not as bad. But now that I know that sound, I recognize it quicker.
Wrist pin bearing?
I'll be disassembling and rebuilding this thing as far as availability of parts allows.

As it sits, I got 250 into it, and it's damn cool.
Plastics are another 280, and a replica black with the Kawi green KX seat cover is another 60-70.
I have the O.E. fork wipers and seals ready to be installed.
Just need that stock silencer and she's a complete bike.

It's an air cooled bike. Cylinder noise is more pronounced. Drop your premix to 16:1 (should be 20:1) using something like a Shell or Hess brand 2stroke oil. Something non synthetic. Most of the noise will disappear. You will probably have to go 1 size bigger on the jetting.

Okay, I'll give it a shot.

Also - Does anyone have a source for fuel petcock repair/parts?
I found the OE petcock I need, but it needs rebuilt, needs the filter.
Currently the plastic piece inside is seized.

Last edited:
well done for going for it with this little kx :thumb:
I had my doubts whether it would be worth doing but you didn't so kudos to you!:ride:
I have seen plenty rare/ hard to find parts on cmsnl.com (petcock bits) but they are based in the Netherlands so shipping and customs would have to be considered if they even have it, hope you get it from your link above but still worth a nosey around cmsnl for other nos Oem bits!
Partzilla is worth a try too and they're stateside:thumb:
Keep us updated with pics please, quite interested seeing this little scoot rip!

Thanks Red!
I gotta restore it. It just seems such a waste not to. Plus, I think I can do it all for $750.
And if I cant sell it for that much (right now I'm betting I can), I'll stick it on my showroom floor and admire all of my hard work and craftsmanship that got it there.
When I get a showroom floor that is...

If you do ever try selling it ( doubt i, you'll love it too much ) seriously consider shipping it to the uk through eBay as we are all getting stung badly for any old motocross bikes, restored with pics and receipts for bits your little bike would likely sell for around £1500 plus shipping, have a look at eBay UK for 80's crossers prices, it's stupid but they do sell at mad money!

Got the petcock coming from that company listed above.
I called them and emailed them prior to purchasing and got zero response. So I decided to just go through the buying process, and that generated an email, so I guess I'll see what shows up.

Before I install it, I figured I should clean out the tank.
What is the preferred method of cleaning out a plastic fuel tank?

Got the petcock coming from that company listed above.
I called them and emailed them prior to purchasing and got zero response. So I decided to just go through the buying process, and that generated an email, so I guess I'll see what shows up.

Before I install it, I figured I should clean out the tank.
What is the preferred method of cleaning out a plastic fuel tank?

1- 6 pack of your favorite beer beverage.
While consuming above mentions 6 pack make sure you have another 6 pack in reserve while emptying the existing fuel into a can for lawn mower use. Urinate into gas tank when needed until all of the beer is gone. Swish urine about inside tank while consuming the remaining beers. Once your thirst has been satisfied and your bladder empty swish the urine one more time then promptly pour it out on the other side of your neighbors fence. Then add a couple drops of dawn dish detergent and about 2qts of hot water. Swish around and rinse. Keep rinsing until no more soap suds and then air dry. Swish a little gas inside of it once dry and then empty that into the lawnmower as well. It will be at this point where you contemplate getting more beer and calling your ex for some action.