Other 1982 Kawasaki KX80

The latest product of the disease, a new basket-case addition to the stable.
I've been looking for a bike for my niece since her and her mom are new in town and they had expressed some interest in riding, and moms boyfriend is a member of a local off-road club and has a jeep. So I figured mom could ride the XR200, and I needed to find a bike for her daughter.

Got it into the shop to find that it has a brand new chinese carb, and had 135psi compression. So I removed the carb and set the float to level (was way high), and took a look at the reeds. Reeds are dual stage, probably Boyesen, no chips, but weren't quite seating properly, so I flipped them around and they appeared to sit properly.
Threw the carb back on, added some premix, and she fired right up.
$75.00.
100_2890r.JPG

Last edited:
So after some digging for parts for this mini dinosaur I came up with nothing, as I expected. I cant even find plastics for it.
Anybody got any cool ideas on what to do with this thing, or a link to some parts?
It runs, but could use a refresh.
With a fuel petcock it'll work for my niece to learn and go crash, and if thats all it's good for, I'm cool with that.
But it's a cool vintage bike and if I could spiff it up I would, plus it's air-cooled and I dig that.

So after some digging for parts for this mini dinosaur I came up with nothing, as I expected. I cant even find plastics for it.
Anybody got any cool ideas on what to do with this thing, or a link to some parts?
It runs, but could use a refresh.
With a fuel petcock it'll work for my niece to learn and go crash, and if thats all it's good for, I'm cool with that.
But it's a cool vintage bike and if I could spiff it up I would, plus it's air-cooled and I dig that.

UGH! I wish I had known you were doing this..... It's time consuming to find these vintage parts.
I always start here and just keep hunting through their links.
https://www.dcvmx.com/xcart/home.php

I have 75 into it, another 280 for plastics would bring it to 355.
I'm debating on what to do with it.
Seems a shame to let a running KX sit and rot...

I have 75 into it, another 280 for plastics would bring it to 355.
I'm debating on what to do with it.
Seems a shame to let a running KX sit and rot...

All the main parts are there.
280 for plastics. Still need an air box.
Bearings probably need to be gone through. I'm thinking 500-$1000 before it's reliable.

Still need an air box.
Air box is here, just not pictured.
Get the idea we have a little different idea of "investing"?
Yep, been there, done this before, except with cars. Spend 5 times as much as you sell it for.

How much would bearings be? $40.00 max for the mains?
Still need to check on the carb, seat, muffler, gasket/seal set too.

I might just pull the trigger on this and get the plastics depending on what other parts are available.
Might even paint the frame, swingarm, bars, etc. and do a full resto...and then just keep it.

Air box is here, just not pictured.

Yep, been there, done this before, except with cars. Spend 5 times as much as you sell it for.

How much would bearings be? $40.00 max for the mains?
Still need to check on the carb, seat, muffler, gasket/seal set too.

I might just pull the trigger on this and get the plastics depending on what other parts are available.
Might even paint the frame, swingarm, bars, etc. and do a full resto...and then just keep it.

New cables-$30
All bearings throughout frame and wheels Inc suspension -$250
Plastics -$250
Air filter -$12
DG exhaust. $350
Seat cover -$50ish
Seatfoam -$100
Gasket set -$40
Tubes and tires -$100ish
Not to mention any missing tidbits or bent levers.... bars, chain rail, sprockets and chain etc etc.

I'm all for full restorations though.

Just had an amazing 30 minute conversation with Mark Hildebrand from Nightmare-Racing, the guy that offers the plastic kit for the 80, a cool dude.
According to him, this is a very, very desirable bike, and if I did a complete resto of this bike I could very reasonably ask $2500.00 for it.
Great conversation, we spoke a lot about him being a purveyor of vintage bikes, and how he came into it, and the contacts he has made in the vintage arena.
According to him has has around 30+ molds for old Kawy's, maybe 40ish.
I'm now more seriously looking into this...

Last edited:
Just had an amazing 30 minute conversation with Mark Hildebrand from Nightmare-Racing, the guy that offers the plastic kit for the 80, a cool dude.
According to him, this is a very, very desirable bike, and if I did a complete resto of this bike I could very reasonably ask $2500.00 for it.
Great conversation, we spoke a lot about him being a purveyor of vintage bikes, and how he came into it, and the contacts he has made in the vintage arena.

Remember when doing a resto for a restoration resale then every part needs to be exact NOS (new old stock) or an exact certified replica.

Advertise it as a complete restoration, throw up some pics of the best one you can find. See how many calls you get and how many guys can actually pop the cash. I know what I might be saying if I was selling restoration plastic. See if he has any pics and contacts of anyone that bought one for 2500. You can't tell, if someone did it once THEY might do it twice!!