Other 1982 Kawasaki KX80

Only kidding!
From this- https://www.bikepics.com/pictures/2288886/1989-honda-cr-250
Cost £300 to buy, spent a further £7000+ to get to this-
https://www.bikepics.com/pictures/2608147/1989-honda-cr-250
Sold it for £3500 but also scored back about £1000 from my spares so cost me £2kish,
Would probably do it again if I had spare time and cash tbh :bonk::loco:

I won't lie....
You did a beautiful resto job on that bike. kudos to you. :thumb:
The unfortunate part is unless you keep it, you'll never get out of it what you put into it.

I have no expectations of getting 2500 for it. But If I could make a buck ot two...

OK. Here is how I see bike flipping for making money. I am at a disadvantage since I don't know enough under privileged people any more to sell 200 dollar bikes to. But the quickest way for you to turn that 'highly sought after' kx into to three hundred to 350$ would be to put the new plastics on it. Seriously. The fastest way to turn it into a 150 dollar bike would be to put the air box back on, with whatever air cleaner you can find. Get it running as crisp as you can for free, clean plug, fresh fuel, float set, air screw set and sell it as a learner, a running project or a play and destroy cheap toy.

Then maybe you will have a few bucks more to put into the projects you already have. (My son and I did that with it's twin and a ds80 we paid 50$ for in a package.)

I won't lie....
You did a beautiful resto job on that bike. kudos to you. :thumb:
The unfortunate part is unless you keep it, you'll never get out of it what you put into it.
:thumb: Cheers Mike! Of course I agree if kept it returns the effort in but I just couldn't afford to keep it back then with so many ankle biters coming up around my place!
One day I might get my teeth into a cr500 and I promise myself not to sell it afterwards! :poke:@Redordead89 :picard::smirk:

But the quickest way for you to turn that 'highly sought after' kx into to three hundred to 350$ would be to put the new plastics on it. Seriously. The fastest way to turn it into a 150 dollar bike would be to put the air box back on, with whatever air cleaner you can find. Get it running as crisp as you can for free, clean plug, fresh fuel, float set, air screw set and sell it as a learner, a running project or a play and destroy cheap toy.
I have considered both of these angles. I think I might bite the bullet next week or two and get the plastic, get a petcock, and throw it on CL for 1500 and see what happens. If nothing, then it's a cheap toy. But I am running out of riding days quickly so I have time. Was 96 here today.
Btw Brad I have 84 kx80 spares here! I'm in the UK though so shipping ain't gonna be free! But the parts are if you want to cover P+P! No engine spare though!
Thanks Red, I'll keep that in mind. Got a Muffler that'll fit? I haven't had any luck with that here. Also could use a stock carb...
And that was a nice CR restoration fosho!
I'm pretty sure I wont go that far.
In fact, what I might do is a "resto mod", have you heard that term?
It's mainly a car term, but I think that I might be able to apply it to this bike.
People around here are truck/bike crazy. They think their shit is worth WAY MORE than what I can buy it for back home in the U.S. Midwest where I came from, so if I spent 280 on plastics, another 100 or so on a OE carb, I think I could list it on CL for 1200-1500, and let them talk me down to...?

Last edited:
I have considered both of these angles. I think I might bite the bullet next week or two and get the plastic, get a petcock, and throw it on CL for 1500 and see what happens. If nothing, then it's a cheap toy. But I am running out of riding days quickly so I have time. Was 96 here today.

Thanks Red, I'll keep that in mind. Got a Muffler that'll fit? I haven't had any luck with that here. Also could use a stock carb...
And that was a nice CR restoration fosho!
I'm pretty sure I wont go that far.
In fact, what I might do is a "resto mod", have you heard that term?
It's mainly a car term, but I think that I might be able to apply it to this bike.
People around here are truck/bike crazy. They think their shit is worth WAY MORE than what I can buy it for back home in the U.S. Midwest where I came from, so if I spent 280 on plastics, another 100 or so on a OE carb, I think I could list it on CL for 1200-1500, and let them talk me down to...?

IMHO if you put $500 into that bike you'll sell it for $400.
I have 2 restos in the shed that are 80-85% done..... I can get $800 for both of them. Everything is there, both have fresh rebuilds.... just some misc hardware missing.

IMHO if you put $500 into that bike you'll sell it for $400.
I tend to think like that as well most days.
I sometimes wonder where these numbers come from. My buddy Dan with the 82 CR480 that we got running told me awhile back that his bike when fully restored was worth $7500. I told him he was smoking crack if he thought he could get that for it.

Right now I have a line on a OE Mikuni for it for $35.00, I offered $20.00. Either way it'll have a rebuilt OE carb soon for approx. $50.00, which brings me up to $125.00 total investment. Add in another $280 for plastics and I'll be right around $400.00.

Phoenix is a crazy market for bikes, just like trucks. They sell for more here.

I have to say I agree with Mike on this little kx, you won't make any cash off the back of spending $280 on the plastics, the little kx is a bare metal resto so would likely need every serviceable part going through then you have to buy new muffler and pipe, probs a year plus to track down everything you need for it!
I would offer it up as it stands now for $250-300 possible project!
Sorry!

I have to say I agree with Mike on this little kx, you won't make any cash off the back of spending $280 on the plastics, the little kx is a bare metal resto so would likely need every serviceable part going through then you have to buy new muffler and pipe, probs a year plus to track down everything you need for it!
I would offer it up as it stands now for $250-300 possible project!
Sorry!

My 85'Yz125 is on Year 7 and my 81RM125 is on Year 5. I did not strip them down to the frame but I wanted them stock correct and race ready as I was willing to race these against 450's in the vet class.