250F 09 kx250f not running???

SO here is the backstory I bought a NON-running kx250f and got it running it ran crappy so I cleaned the carb and put new jets in nope. Still ran crappy and backfired and didnt idle without choke so I went in cleaned again put in a bigger main jet (185 main 42 pilot and rest stock) and now it will barely run on carb cleaner and it pops when being kicked so Im stumped but when it does run it will only for a few seconds.

Ok well you need to be more descriptive and then maybe I can be more helpful. What did you do to “get it running”
Oh Well, I cleaned the carb put all new jets in and sprayed carb cleaner/ starter fluid down the airbox and it started but didnt run on choke and constaintly backfired so then I took apart the carb again and put in a larger main jet was a 182 now a 185 and it wont even start without spraying carb cleaner down the hole even then it takes 10-20 to get it started and it only took 5ish with the old 182 in but it takes a lot of kicks and it will only run for two seconds. And sometimes when I am kicking it backfires not even running so im baffled.

Whats the compression?
What does the plug look like?
compression is really good (barely push down by hand) plug was whitish the first time I got it running but when I put in the new main jet I have not looked yet since it would only run for short 2-3 second intervals

Gotta check the valve clearances. It’s easier than it sounds, and if you bought it as a rider you should get used to doing it.

Things to look for in your case senario.. Air leak; Check hotstart, carb boots.
Fuel issue. You changed the jets, How ever I would check the float valve for corrosion causing it to stick.
How ever Valve clearance or valve timing could be and probably is your issue. Being off by one tooth on the cam chain does this.
Next will be poor spark.

I always love how people "clean" carburetors. One of the things I would look for since you didn't seem to get a very good history with this one is to make sure that the carburetor is put back together right, with a working float that is set properly. FYI Poster Suz 125, your main jet could be missing and the starability won't change in my experience. So quit stressing or even thinking about that at this point if simplifying helps you solve things like it does me. (I like the leak and valve warnings from what little actual description you have provided.)

Last edited:
Oh Well, I cleaned the carb put all new jets in and sprayed carb cleaner/ starter fluid down the airbox and it started but didnt run on choke and constaintly backfired so then I took apart the carb again and put in a larger main jet was a 182 now a 185 and it wont even start without spraying carb cleaner down the hole even then it takes 10-20 to get it started and it only took 5ish with the old 182 in but it takes a lot of kicks and it will only run for two seconds. And sometimes when I am kicking it backfires not even running so im baffled.

So if It didn't run on the choke, why did you go richer with the main?

Plenty of compression, he can barely push it down by hand.:picard:

What?? you aren't familiar with the age old fool proof test for compression? Would you feel better if he further proved his point by adding that it will blow your finger off of the spark plug hole if you kicking it over while pressing down with your finger and kicking it through?