New guy here!

If you are local I can meet you and give a hand! -BIG DAN

I'm not far from Riverside, so maybe we can set something up! :thumb:

Clean the power valve. I didn't see a lot of spoog coming out of the exhaust tip so. Just saying. But I am not an expert.

Come on Gary, I barely know how to clean my air filter...let alone my power valve :bonk:

So I went to my local shop today and to ask about top end kits. They want $204 for a Wiseco top end kit. Fair price???

You need a nice torque wrench which will cost about $100, and I figure a little more and that will cover the top end labor from a shop. And that's guaranteed work. What worries me is I will probably do something wrong and end up having to pay a shop to fix my mistakes anyway

If you invest in the tools now it's cheaper in the long run then paying a shop to do it! :prof:

And thats a complete kit? I wouldn't need anything else?
If you guys go in halves for the tools you can do top ends for ever. You will be riding them bikes for a long time. Get the "zip-ty" by IMS fuel tank and ride forever.

Remember year specific and stock to oversized.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WISECO-TOP-...ycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_1352wt_907

1999/2000 Johns bike right.

You have the 2002.
2002/2010
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WISECO-TOP-...ycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_1352wt_907

LOL i wish i got all the DO IT you can do it its easy comments when my bike grenaded.... mines a 4t tho and i quickly learned that indeed everyone was right and rebuilding a complete 4t motor is a lot for a noob like myself.

If you guys go in halves for the tools you can do top ends for ever. You will be riding them bikes for a long time. Get the "zip-ty" by IMS fuel tank and ride forever.

remember year specific and stock to oversized

1999/2000 Johns bike right.

You have the 2002.
2002/2010
:noidea::confused::confused::confused: I can't just buy that set you gave me the link to and call it a day?

James

Staff member
LOL i wish i got all the DO IT you can do it its easy comments when my bike grenaded.... mines a 4t tho and i quickly learned that indeed everyone was right and rebuilding a complete 4t motor is a lot for a noob like myself.
You do your own bike work now right?

Dont know, I have never done a top end either. It can't be to hard if you know the size you need. Do you pull it apart and then mic it to find out what you need? :thinking:

Gary aka trail macgyver has never done a top end? Wow maybe after I end up figuring it out. I will teach you! :P

It should be stamped on top of the piston. My money is that it's going to be a stock bore. It's not like the old days of bore-able steel cylinders.

It should be stamped on top of the piston. My money is that it's going to be a stock bore. It's not like the old days of bore-able steel cylinders.

people still do over bores on AL cylinders, but you have to get them replated after the bore... so like you said, most of the time its stock bore. But, make sure your plating is still within the service limits :thumb:

Gary aka trail macgyver has never done a top end? Wow maybe after I end up figuring it out. I will teach you! :P

Come on now John, I sent you the PDF manual and believe me, if one of my bikes needed it I would be reading through that section and tearing it apart. I will probably be doing a top end by next year on one of them bikes. As for teaching me....I would love to have you come over when I need to get into it just in case I need a hand. It is always good to have someone that has done it, in case of mistakes. :smirk: :thumb: :ride:

You do your own bike work now right?
i do what i can... rebuilding a 4t is not something i can do right now tho.

i jsut do the basic shit myself. I am a horrible mechanic. part bad luck and part lack of skill = bad things... like clutch plate bolts breaking on me and then while trying to fix that i break the entire prong to the basket case off :picard: