New guy here!

You need a nice torque wrench which will cost about $100, and I figure a little more and that will cover the top end labor from a shop. And that's guaranteed work. What worries me is I will probably do something wrong and end up having to pay a shop to fix my mistakes anyway

I'm no mechanic, but labor will be FAR more than $100 for a top end. My guess is you will pay close to $800 for parts and labor. Call around and let us know what you find out. :popcorn:

You could even rent a torque wrench if you didn't want to buy one. You would have to buy a manual, if you don't have one, after that, even Rez could do a 2 smoke top end.:smirk:

Dude, you don't need any $100 dollar mac torch wrench, You can get a decent one at sears or autozone to do the job. We are only talking 35lbs of torch on the Cylinder bolts and 18lb on the head bolts. You can get a $150 piston kit, $15 wrist pin and $45 gasket set. $10 for jug of antifreeze and $30 for a manual. Plus you have all the help you need right here and youtube has some nice how to videos from Rocky mountain ATV. It is really easy. I rebuilt my whole motor this summer. It was My first and was pretty simple. That is why I will stay 2 stroke they are so simple by design, I bet I can rebuild the top end on my bike in two hrs.

You could even rent a torque wrench if you didn't want to buy one. You would have to buy a manual, if you don't have one, after that, even Rez could do a 2 smoke top end.:smirk:

Actually I did one waaaaaay back i nthe late 70s on my TM125 ... aint nothin to the motor...open it up, there's the piston, rings that thingamujiggy and that's about it. :smirk: ... TIMO, I'll take that as a compliment :thumb:....but you still get one of these :moon:

James

Staff member
Thanks for all the warm welcome guys!!! Hopefully I get to meet some you guys on rides soon!

mybikenew.jpg

And this is the picture of the bike when I first got it. She is ALOT dirtier now and the graphics have gone to hell from all my dirt naps lol But I plan on getting her looking like new again soon!
:thumb: Means that you're actually riding it and she isn't just a garage queen.
You need a nice torque wrench which will cost about $100, and I figure a little more and that will cover the top end labor from a shop. And that's guaranteed work. What worries me is I will probably do something wrong and end up having to pay a shop to fix my mistakes anyway
:noidea: I picked up a nice Craftsman 5-80 ft. lbs torque wrench, a few years ago, while it was on sale for $50.

Sure it might cost you the same to buy the tools as it would be to just have the shop do it. However what happens the next time?

Back when I first got my bike I didn't have any tools or "know-how" on how to work on a (4 stroke) bike. So I sent it off to the shop to have the valves adjusted. One ride and $300 later I come to find out that it still wasn't right. I wasn't about to pay the guy $80 a hour to "not" fix it again. :foul: Instead I want out and spent $500+ on a nice tool set, haven't had it back to the shop since. :ride: Just create a thread in the appropriate section and we'll gladly help out.

BTW here are some How-To articles Dan wrote. :thumb:
Part 1 - https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/for...ke-top-end-inspection-replacement-part-1.html
Part 2 - https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/for...ke-top-end-inspection-replacement-part-2.html
Part 3 - https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/for...ke-top-end-inspection-replacement-part-3.html

That's it, I'm doing it myself. I'm going to pick up a torque rench this weekend. I'm a grown up, I'll figure it out, especially with all the support here. No need to pay someone to possibly mess up my bike, especially when I can do that in the comfort of my own home. :thumb:

What makes you think you need a top end anyway? Your bike sounded and ran fine on Sunday. :thinking::noidea::confused:

My brother's bike has no compression at all. It's really weak. Mine has a lot more then his. But mine hasn't been changed in at least 5 years. But it runs like a champ! I guess he and myself want to do it for the piece of mind. Plus my bolt that release the oil is stripped so I need to figure out how to remove that. :thinking:

Im here night and day for all your inquiries! -BIG DAN :thumb:

Thanks! :thumb: I'll need someone with experience on stand by! lol

I'm no mechanic, but labor will be FAR more than $100 for a top end. My guess is you will pay close to $800 for parts and labor. Call around and let us know what you find out. :popcorn:

So I called a couple places. Place right near my house said around $500-$600!!! Rip off! lol Place we rented the Crf230 from said it was $330 OTD or both my bro's bike and mine for $650 OTD with a two day turn around and said there work is guaranteed. That's with Wiseco pistons too :thinking:

What makes you think you need a top end anyway? Your bike sounded and ran fine on Sunday. :thinking::noidea::confused:

Over the past year or so I have noticed a big loss in my compression. My bike still starts easy and run great but I'm sure all my glamis and pismo trips have taken it's toll on it, not including all our desert/trail rides. Above all I guess I'm doing it for the peace of mind. I really would rather do it before it goes boom and pay more getting the cylinder replated.

I REALLY want to do it myself as I would love to be able to work on my own bike and not have to worry about relying on a dirt bike shop to do my fixes. BUT I really don't want to do the work myself on my bike, think I did it right...ride it, find out I did something wrong and now I have to go with the shop and spend more money. I'm not to mechanically inclined, but can do all my easy maintenance like changing the oil, air filter etc Oh decisions decisions :thinking::foul::thinking: