Other YZ426 Build

Looks great man! :thumb: Great job! How hard was the engine work? I would like to drop a new piston and rings in my yamaha 250 this winter, purely for performance, but most people are trying to scare me out of doing it. Also! I noticed the stock sprockets and chain are pretty crappy, I'm a fan of the Renthal drive chain, you may agree, it made my bike feel a lot smoother in acceleration.

Looks great man! :thumb: Great job! How hard was the engine work? I would like to drop a new piston and rings in my yamaha 250 this winter, purely for performance, but most people are trying to scare me out of doing it. Also! I noticed the stock sprockets and chain are pretty crappy, I'm a fan of the Renthal drive chain, you may agree, it made my bike feel a lot smoother in acceleration.
Its not that bad, i learned motor work on 4 pokes if you want an extra wrench when your doing it

Its not that bad, i learned motor work on 4 pokes if you want an extra wrench when your doing it
I wanna drop a high compression head in there over the winter, rings and gasgets since I'm going to try to go to nationals next year for schoolboy. I thought about sending my engine and suspension to PR2 to rebuild but i don't know if both pro suspension and engine rebuild will be in the budget

I wanna drop a high compression head in there over the winter, rings and gasgets since I'm going to try to go to nationals next year for schoolboy. I thought about sending my engine and suspension to PR2 to rebuild but i don't know if both pro suspension and engine rebuild will be in the budget
suspension is worth sending out, motor work is simple enough to do yourseld as long as your not raceing nationals :smirk:

thats an awesome rebuild, hope the bike stays running good for a long time! :thumb:
Thanks man! I hope so too! haha

that may be a yz426 but it has a wr426 tank and seat on it. I have the proper yzf tank if you want it.
the wr tank and seat give the bike a really funky ergo on the 99-02 wr's.
Very good eye there Sir! :thumb: You are correct it is a WR426 gas tank and seat. when i bought the bike from my buddy he told me they were off of a WR, i dont know what year, but that seat sure is comfy! and the gas tank is 2.8 gal so its great! thanks for the offer on the stock tank, this one is actually showing surface cracks wich scares me,(dont have 200$ for a new oversized tank) if you would like to get rid of the tank I'll take it :busted: do u live in Cali?

(the wr tank and seat give the bike a funky what? on 99 - 02 wrs??)

:thumb: Great Job on the rebuild. Looks like you really took your time and put this together right...now go :ride:
Thank you very much! i really did take my time (though sometimes i didn't want to, being 16 w/ no job made $$$ drag everything out, however i got to think things trough and i love how it came out ) and i learned so much it was an absolute awesome experience. One hell of a "first bike!" Another great thing is now whatever happens to it or whatever it needs i can do my self! i could rebuild the whole thing from the tranny being pulled out and everything completely dissembled again. I'm that comfortable and confident now :thumb:

I wish i could go ride it!

That bike looks sexy :thumb:. Now the best part is riding it!
Thanks, I often think of that too haha. the best part really is riding it, i loooove the mechanical, but ive put soooooooo many hours of hard core wrenching, lateeeeeeee nights, buckets of elbow grease, and of course $$$$....It's seriously time to go break this engine in and ride the balls off it!!! :ride:, (lol)

However, sadly I haven't been riding in over a year now. Technically I rode last thanksgiving, it was on this bike,(but i dont count it sense it was supppppper short of a ride) I had so many carburetor issues and starting issues, that i only rode the last day of the 3 day weekend trip. and it was for all of about 20 mins, going a total of 12ish miles. that's all the mileage this whole brand new bike has on it. It breaks my heart, but i haven't had another opportunity to go riding, the friend who would take me w/ him on trips moved, and no one else has offered or actually fallowed trough on the "planned riding trip" :( I'm 17, and still have no job, though that will hopefully change this summer. I have a truck however no $$$ to pay insurance and gas for it to get to the desert, so I'm not mobile yet... I just wish for the time being i knew some guys who actually GO when they say their going TO GO, and don't mind bringing another guy/bike with them.

anyway thats why this beautiful bike sadly only has 12 miles on it, yet has hundreeeeeds of wrenching hours, and 1,400$ in rebuild into it. :lame: also owned it for a year and 4 months.:banghead:

Thanks man! :banana: The engine work wasn't to bad, It feels like it at first, but after awhile it got much easyer and really fun, I personally found it fascinating! the engineering and manufacturing of the metals/materiels that make these beautiful bikes were all "addicted" to :wink: fascinates me. Honestly a piston swap wont be hard, just get a book for ur bike and make sure u have a inch & foot lb torque wrenches and fallow the book, however honing the clyiender is easyer with two people in my experience. don't let people "scare" u out of it. just go slow and TRIPPLE check everything. whats the level of experience u have in mechanics/engines?

Renthal didn't make the chain I'd like, i heard mixed reviews about their chains, however their sprockets are kick @$$, i plan on getting a black rear sprocket (as im going to have blue rims eventually, gotta think ahead about the color scheme) i have a stock rear sprocket off a friends WR, almost no use what so ever, its a 50 T and i bought a new 14T front. (forgot the company)
my gearing is 14/50 the stock for the bike is 14/49 so im not far off. My chain is a "Tusbaski 525 Omega O-ring" heard nothing but great reviews long life, and the factory kawasaki team uses/used them

Is your 250 a 4s or 2s?

My bike has thee most ungodly massive acceleration, wants to raise the wheel in 4th at half throttle! :smirk::shocked:

Agreed, 4 strokes only have a couple more parts then 2 strokes, i haven't worked on smokers..."yet"

Honestly that's ALOT of cash, don't use a mechanic if you "can" do it your self. Do the engine work your self, a piston swap wont be hard. what do you mean by a high compression "head" are you shaving the head? or putting in a high comp piston kit?, however sending your suspension into the shop to be revalved does WONDERS! honestly, professionally done suspension makes INSANE difference, i had the honor (lol) of riding my friends pimped out 08 KLX450 and he has over 1,200 in suspension alone. the thing was a DREAAAAAAAAAM! :ride: send in ur suspension, do the engine ur self.

Dave; that is an oustanding build! Great job and great thread :thumb:
Thank you very much! I'm still new to forums in general but im getting the hang of it. James and Kyle moved the pictures and video over into this new thread (thanks again guys) I clutterd up my introduction page w/ all these pictures lol.

suspension is worth sending out, motor work is simple enough to do yourseld as long as your not raceing nationals :smirk:

Agreed.