250F Yamaha releases 2 new 250f Cross Country bikes.

Oh, you said the same thing the WR has always been. Were you just talking about reliable? I thought you were talking about the motor itself.
No, I meant the WR has always, more or less, been a YZ yamaha modified from the factory for off road use, they always have, for the most part, shared the same components in terms of motor, frame, etc. etc.

The YZF-X appears to be more race oriented and the WR seems to be more trail oriented, as they both have wide ratio 6 speeds.

No, I meant the WR has always, more or less, been a YZ yamaha modified from the factory for off road use, they always have, for the most part, shared the same components in terms of motor, frame, etc. etc.

The YZF-X appears to be more race oriented and the WR seems to be more trail oriented, as they both have wide ratio 6 speeds.
Hmmmm, I don't know too much about the WR250 motor but the WR450 didn't share in the YZ450 motor for the past 4 years. Even before they went to the "backwards" motor I didn't think the 450's shared much, motor wise. Just guessing but I would have figured the WR250 shared more of the WR450. But like I said, I don't know much about the 250.:blush:

Hmmmm, I don't know too much about the WR250 motor but the WR450 didn't share in the YZ450 motor for the past 4 years. Even before they went to the "backwards" motor I didn't think the 450's shared much, motor wise. Just guessing but I would have figured the WR250 shared more of the WR450. But like I said, I don't know much about the 250.:blush:
They took a YZ450, put different cams in it, changed the ignition timing, added electric start, changed the transmission.
They share the same piston, possibly crank.

Pretty positive.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's a rebadged yzf + a 6spd.
Don't get me wrong, yammi did a great job with the new 250f but my concern is the reliability of the new motor to hold up for wide open desert racing or will it eat itself up in 15hrs?

Don't get me wrong, yammi did a great job with the new 250f but my concern is the reliability of the new motor to hold up for wide open desert racing or will it eat itself up in 15hrs?

Well, they knocked down the compression from 13.5 down to 11.8. Don't know about the crank. Just going on Yammi's reputation and my own experience i think the odds are good. I never adjusted my valves on my '07 WR until I actually replaced them in 2013. In those 6 years I never even looked at the valves, no adjustments or anything. The bike felt like it was running just as strong as the day I first rode it. Only reason I went into the motor was to put the YZ cams in. Paul at ASRacing said the valves were still in spec.

Now, if you want to talk about the carburetor, that's a different story:eek:
Carb.jpg

My 07 YZ450 was ridden and raced in the dez and never had an issue. I prefer the YZ motor over the WR (as does TS as he put the yz cam in his). I rode WG's 07 WR in the dez and you can feel the diff in the softer hitting motor. I like the quick snap the motorcrossers give you.

My son also rode an 05 YZ250f in the dez and again no issues. I will say Yami makes reliable motors.

You know what does?
CRF's :(

That's what I'm sayin!

My 07 YZ450 was ridden and raced in the dez and never had an issue. I prefer the YZ motor over the WR (as does TS as he put the yz cam in his). I rode WG's 07 WR in the dez and you can feel the diff in the softer hitting motor. I like the quick snap the motorcrossers give you.

My son also rode an 05 YZ250f in the dez and again no issues. I will say Yami makes reliable motors.

The older yzf motors were awesome and almost indestructible. Great long term motor and very well built. The new ones I'm not so sure of now. Is it a desert tank or a 4 MOTO bomb? I'm hoping for the best cause you only rebuild so many 4ts and you just find another hobby.

And with the price coming in WAY less than the euro trash bikes it has potential. Lighter without E-start. On a 2T E-start is a novelty and not a real necessity IMO, nice, just not real badly needed. :drool:

I agree.....however the e start is kick ass when you stall while riding, no need to stop and kick....magic button time!