Other Xl600r keeps dying

Pretty common for a big 4T.
I would not consider that engine warmed up completely for at least 20 minutes of hard riding.
After the engine is way too hot to touch, reset idle and idle mixture and try again. I am betting it has not been properly warmed up when the carburetor was set. -BIG DAN:thumb:

I'll try that. Especially this old thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meanwhile
c81ed6ae0cb472bc72ab890b31ba94cd.jpg

Well I guess I put this off for a bit. I have been riding the beast anyway. It seems to be doing decent. Fuel additives have helped a bit. I'm not too excited or confident in cleaning the carbs. It seems to die at stops sometimes now. In fact, it even does this after I've been riding for 30 mins or so. I don't go on rides any longer on it. I really don't know what the issue is. Improperly adjusted valves? Improperly set idle? Improperly designed piece of shit? Or all of the above? My fear with the carb work is that once I remove the carbs, I'm afraid the intake manifold will crack from old age. Or if I remove the intake, I won't be able to get the seals for it. And carb kits are damn hard to come by. I have a somewhat custom supertrapp exhaust on it right now. I removed a few plates and that seemed to help it run a little better. Not sure how to get the correct back pressure on it

Is this now the Canadian cans thread?
Thats funny. I just got that, took me a minute. Good one Mike.

Not sure of your skill level but it is understandable to not want to try and rebuild the carbs on this bike if you have little to no experience with them.
By the looks of the parts fiche, it could appear quite daunting I'm sure. See below;
Image.gif

But if you've been riding it it must be better, and shows that the internals must be good, so you can rule out valves (although it probably needs a valve job). Plus it sounded like it has some snort in the video, which leads me to believe that the internals are good, and that you should clean the carb and air filter.
What else is there unless your exhaust is plugged?

Used intake manifold that looks to be in pretty good shape- (offer him $20.00)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/83-honda-xl...ash=item3f7e9ab93b:g:VtgAAOSwfpVZOGmc&vxp=mtr

Manifold and insulator O-rings are still available OE at RMATV
91301-428-003 O-RING (35.5X3) (NOK) $1.69 $1.52 10+ In-Stock

An OEM float is still available at RMATV
16013-KG0-891 (replaces part #16013-GC4-701) FLOAT SET - $31.42

The insulator between the head and intake can still be found used on eBay if needed.

Last edited:
I just discovered that the air screw is missing! What the hell? I sprayed carb cleaner in there to see if I wasn't blind and it killed the engine every time. Definitely a clean hole

I just discovered that the air screw is missing! What the hell? I sprayed carb cleaner in there to see if I wasn't blind and it killed the engine every time. Definitely a clean hole
Why does my bike even run this way? Would that cause the dying?

In my 12 years of marriage, 10 years of driving a truck, and 15 years of being a maintenance mechanic, I have yet to come upon, a "clean" hole.:smirk:

I mean all the way through with no obstruction. Nice joke though. Anyway, why is the bike even running this way? It isles and rides fine for a good while most days