Wildlife and MX

Last night I went to MX nite at Portland International Raceway. Hub forgot to put the card back in my camera after he used it, or else I'd have taken a pic of the osprey nest atop the light pole next to the finish line. Osprey like to nest on top of high poles(ie snags). The birds had PLENTY of choices further away from the noise and excitement of the track, but they choose the pole next to the finish jump, which is also near the start. They didn't appear nervous or bothered in any way, even though there are bikes flying right under their nest. They just sat up there watching everything--a pretty dang cool viewpoint to boot!

I was thinking someone at PIR needs to keep track of these birds somehow and add the data to the argument that loud noisy smokey motorcycles piss off wildlife. Of course I think it's bad to harass or deliberately damage wildlife(like run over a nest on purpose or chase things etc), but frankly I've seen plenty enough around that if we all just go about our business we can get along just fine.

THE BIRD THE BIRD THE BIRD IS THE WORD....

HEHE cool they just want to watch some MX action as well :thumb:

im cool with the osprey as long as they dont do this to my fellow KTM rider...
osprey2.jpg
:devil:

Ha, I forgot to mention they set of fireworks as the winner of the pro race crossed the finish line, right next to the light pole with the bird's nest :lol:

James

Staff member
I was thinking someone at PIR needs to keep track of these birds somehow and add the data to the argument that loud noisy smokey motorcycles piss off wildlife. Of course I think it's bad to harass or deliberately damage wildlife(like run over a nest on purpose or chase things etc), but frankly I've seen plenty enough around that if we all just go about our business we can get along just fine.
I agree :thumb:

When I was younger I used to walk through my dads woods and the wildlife ran away just as fast then as it does with me riding through it now :bonk: So I call bull on the greenies saying that we harm wildlife by riding, sure the range is greater (sound) but it's not any different then walking/MTB/horse riding/whatever.

I agree :thumb:

When I was younger I used to walk through my dads woods and the wildlife ran away just as fast then as it does with me riding through it now :bonk: So I call bull on the greenies saying that we harm wildlife by riding, sure the range is greater (sound) but it's not any different then walking/MTB/horse riding/whatever.

You know what, I have a theory that off road use (the occasional trail riders running through--dirt bike, horse, MTB) is less stressful than a hiker, or a dog. I live where there is lots of deer and elk and turkeys which get hunted. You can get really close to them in or on a vehicle, but if they see a human afoot or worse a coyote sized dog(which that is what size most hikers take with them) they run right away. I know evolution has hardwired the flight response when a deer sees a wolf/coyote shape, and humans have been hunting on foot for a gajillion years, so it follows that the human walking sihouette is scary too. The silhouette of a human on a horse/bike or of a vehicle just doesn't compute for the fear response. Thats why deer will run infront of cars and people on bikes(my husband had an episode...). ANyways, just my theory that hikers and dogs are actually more stressful for deer etc.

And like why people go on safari in jeeps to get closer to the animals, right?!!! and then what is camo--breaking up the human silhouette(not neccessarily making you invisible)

You know what, I have a theory that off road use (the occasional trail riders running through--dirt bike, horse, MTB) is less stressful than a hiker, or a dog. I live where there is lots of deer and elk and turkeys which get hunted. You can get really close to them in or on a vehicle, but if they see a human afoot or worse a coyote sized dog(which that is what size most hikers take with them) they run right away. I know evolution has hardwired the flight response when a deer sees a wolf/coyote shape, and humans have been hunting on foot for a gajillion years, so it follows that the human walking sihouette is scary too. The silhouette of a human on a horse/bike or of a vehicle just doesn't compute for the fear response. Thats why deer will run infront of cars and people on bikes(my husband had an episode...). ANyways, just my theory that hikers and dogs are actually more stressful for deer etc.

And like why people go on safari in jeeps to get closer to the animals, right?!!! and then what is camo--breaking up the human silhouette(not neccessarily making you invisible)

Did I see you on the Discovery channel...or was it SPEED??? :smirk:

ted is coming to 4th and B in San Diego soon.. just heard it on the radio today.

dont think i could make it tho :( id love to hear some cat scratch live

It's a self centered anthropomorphizing thing. You see Mr or Mrs (wait Ms.) Greenie doesn't like dirt bikes. The sound and noise scare them and they are just plain nasty. Their friends think the same way. Well as an extension the deer and other frolicking forest creatures must think just the same, right?

Well as people who actually ride dirt bikes we know better. Yes sure the animals might not like a dirt bike. However, I sure get a lot closer than I do on foot. I have been by several deer and passed as close as 40 feet and they just look at me. Not so when on foot. The only thing I see on foot is a deer's rear end disappearing over the hill.

I thought that Ted had vowed never to set foot in California again. I guess he needs more money for ammo or something.