Who make a better rider, MX or Off road guy??

Damn WG called me out. I was just sitting here :popcorn: and enjoying the reading and :thinking:. Wow I used to race desert? Who told you that?

:popcorn:

EDIT: by the way WG says you are even slower now that your bike is off of the stand. im just sayin :noidea: :smirk: :stirthepot:

This subject can go back and forth all day.

I've heard Desert guys say supercross/motocross racers are crazy.
I've heard SX/MX racers say desert racers are crazy.
I had an ex-supercross racer who raced 125cc pro for Suzuki back in the 80's team up with me on several events and he was faster than shit in the desert, but that was only for maybe an hour at a time. When we rode events that we did not partner up at, he would fade on the second loop.
Desert guys can learn everything that you can on a MX track in the desert but maybe hitting big gaps (unless you hang out in the dunes). MX guys can do everything a desert guy can do, but does not have the speed for as long or read the terrain as well at speed.
There are desert guys that like to go wide open and then there are desert guys that like tight gnarly canyons.
If the question is who makes a better rider, it depends on the setting they are in. I have ridden in all disciplines and I know where I am better than other areas.
just a half cent from me.

I had an ex-supercross racer who raced 125cc pro for Suzuki back in the 80's team up with me on several events and he was faster than shit in the desert, but that was only for maybe an hour at a time. When we rode events that we did not partner up at, he would fade on the second loop.
Desert guys can learn everything that you can on a MX track in the desert but maybe hitting big gaps (unless you hang out in the dunes). MX guys can do everything a desert guy can do, but does not have the speed for as long or read the terrain as well at speed.
There are desert guys that like to go wide open and then there are desert guys that like tight gnarly canyons.
If the question is who makes a better rider, it depends on the setting they are in. I have ridden in all disciplines and I know where I am better than other areas.

Agreed. :prof:

Thats a concept in itself and you have opened another small can of piss and vinegar.

I rode desert when I was young, I feel I was fairly fast. I rode a open class bike from 15 on.
I to could not turn more the 45 degrees for the life of me. I could hang on and hit bumps at speed at serious speed.
I had balls and thats about it. Big Balls I will add.

Now I ride woods, real trails and technical elevation changes. Am I faster? No way.
Am I better rider considering the years apart and the age difference? Hell yes.

Watch the psychos on You Tube in Europe and ask if the desert made them fast?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oywg57u4H1o
Check out second 53 for a great laugh.

David Knight had scant chance of learning his speed in the desert.
Malcolm Smith? Bob Hannah? These were desert guys. Two different
types of racers. Travis is a East Coast guy. What would we classify him as?

The real answer is skill. How you came across the skill is actually meaningless.

I find tight as trails with exposed roots and rock with a touch snow and mud
the funniest most challenging trails ever, some of my biggest sources of
riding envy come from the lush green trail pics of the far Pacific Northwest.

and I do like the desert too.

That video is awsome. best one i've seeni a long time i'll have to look more of those up.:thumb:

:devil: I think I'm going to sit "here" and eat my :popcorn: while I watch this :poke:/pissing match unfold. :devil:

:smirk:

me too :popcorn::clap: I hope that i'm able to come out to ride when you get out here , on second thogt i will be there!!:thumbUOTE]

Keep stirring Gold Fish..:moon:

I think i saw a few gold fish swimming in that video :smirk:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Yeah that's it... you are better in some disciplines than others. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:. Nice disciplines.:thumb::thumb::thumb::rolleyes:

I wish I had different "disciplines" too.:cry: