Which Vehicle?

Ok guys so right now I'm having a hard time with a decision on my vehicles. Currently I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota Reg cab, my thing is I want to get a 2008 Chevy Silverado, but I also want a street bike.
I have time to think about this because I am going to wait until after I'm done with my training, which will be in December.

Pros of keeping my truck are: Paid off, won't have to get another vehicle, gets me around, more money for a street bike.
Cons of keeping my truck are: Not enough room to carry people and my gear, has a few big dents from the guy before me, not really what I want.
Here's what my truck looks like: http://image.trucktrend.com/f/12157...rs_rides_showcase+2001_dodge_dakota_sport.jpg

Pros of getting a 2008 Chevy Silverado are: Nice truck, more room, newer truck, what I want, can drive it year round unlike a street bike, builds my credit.
Cons of getting a 2008 Chevy Silverado are: Going to have payments, terrible gas mileage, won't be able to get a street bike, puts me back in finances.
Here's the truck: http://springfield.craigslist.org/ctd/2203624361.html

Pros of getting a street bike: Fun, more road trips, better gas mileage, race people :devil:, never had one, gain credit, get to be apart of biker clubs :smirk:
Cons of getting a street bike: payments, not ride able year round, high insurance, more likely of more speeding tickets.. Here's the bike I was looking at, but much rather go to a dealer to be able to make payments: http://springfield.craigslist.org/mcy/2210747956.html

So what do you guys think? I'm about to go in for a job interview at Lowes tomorrow which will put me getting two paychecks and drill pay for the Army Reserves :thumb: And I'll be getting paid almost $2,000/ month at training, have college paid for and will have my housing and food paid for. So feedback? :thumb:

I can relate. I have a 2000 Dakota Club Cab with 120k on the clock. Mechanically I've kept in in good condition, but it looks like hell because the clear coat is peeling. I would like something newer that doesn't look so bad, and something bigger while I'm at it, but dammit, the truck has been paid off for nearly seven years, and I HATE car payments. I've flipped back and forth for a couple of years now (I usually start wanting something new when something breaks on my Dakota :lol: ), but for now I'm leaning towards just keeping the Dakota until it finally dies.

I do kinda have my eye on a nice V-Max that's for sale locally though, but he won't budge on the price...:thinking: :smirk:

So true. I rode my bike 90% of the time :)

Exactly :lol: Let's see around October-November area it gets cold here and doesn't warm up til around March, if you think about it that's not to bad. If I grow some hair down there I can ride through the cold :smirk:

I can relate. I have a 2000 Dakota Club Cab with 120k on the clock. Mechanically I've kept in in good condition, but it looks like hell because the clear coat is peeling. I would like something newer that doesn't look so bad, and something bigger while I'm at it, but dammit, the truck has been paid off for nearly seven years, and I HATE car payments. I've flipped back and forth for a couple of years now (I usually start wanting something new when something breaks on my Dakota :lol: ), but for now I'm leaning towards just keeping the Dakota until it finally dies.

I do kinda have my eye on a nice V-Max that's for sale locally though, but he won't budge on the price...:thinking: :smirk:

I just hit 94,000, I've also kept mine in good mechanical condition (oil change every 3K, Tire rotation every other oil change, air filter when need, fuel injector cleaner every other gas fillup), but i do have minorish damage( A dent in the 1/4 panel, scrapes of clear coat peeling, scratches here and there) Overall after putting it out there, it doesn't sound like it's in bad condition :lol:. But I did have a bad dented front fender, looked like somebody took a sledge hammer to it, but I got a new one painted and I put it on :thumb:. See I don't know how car payments are yet so I guess that will come soon lol.

So I'm thinking bike for right now and truck later on in life, I think I am thinking more than doing :lol: But my parent's didn't have nice things til their 30's so I am fortunate :thumb: Anyone know how insurance runs on a crotch rocket? I'm thinking high, I need to give my parent's insurance company a ring tomorrow and figure that out. If I can't afford insurance I def won't be able to get a bike :prof:

I just thought how funny it is I'm asking about choosing between a bike and truck with people who prefer bikes over anything else :lol:

So anyone have any input on the best street bikes? I'm looking into a GSXR, R1, Haybusa. Any others? Not really into dual sports or cruisers.

Have you had a street MC license for long? You are like 20 or under, right? young with little experience means the insurance will be an insane $5k/yr or something like that. Every state is different so be sure to get an insurance quote before you buy anything. It will almost for sure cost more than the bike if you own it a few years. Now getting older and having a few years of riding experience will drop that rate down to something less crazy. Getting something out of the sport bike category will drop the cost a lot. Think you could ride a SV650 for a few years?

My advise is to keep the existing truck and get something other than a sport bike for the first few years.

The reason for the extremely high cost is the fact that the insurance company calculates the statistics. Those stats say that someone with your profile you will crash and make a claim essentially for sure. You might be the one in a whole lot who doesn't crash, but you will pay for all those that do.

have you had a street mc license for long? You are like 20 or under, right? Young with little experience means the insurance will be an insane $5k/yr or something like that. Every state is different so be sure to get an insurance quote before you buy anything. It will almost for sure cost more than the bike if you own it a few years. Now getting older and having a few years of riding experience will drop that rate down to something less crazy. Getting something out of the sport bike category will drop the cost a lot. Think you could ride a sv650 for a few years?

My advise is to keep the existing truck and get something other than a sport bike for the first few years.

The reason for the extremely high cost is the fact that the insurance company calculates the statistics. Those stats say that someone with your profile you will crash and make a claim essentially for sure. You might be the one in a whole lot who doesn't crash, but you will pay for all those that do.
sv650!

Have you had a street MC license for long? You are like 20 or under, right? young with little experience means the insurance will be an insane $5k/yr or something like that. Every state is different so be sure to get an insurance quote before you buy anything. It will almost for sure cost more than the bike if you own it a few years. Now getting older and having a few years of riding experience will drop that rate down to something less crazy. Getting something out of the sport bike category will drop the cost a lot. Think you could ride a SV650 for a few years?

Great post :thumb: I don't have a motorcycle license yet, I didn't see a reason to get one if I didn't have a bike to ride. So how do the SV650 not fall under the sport bike category? It looks alright but I would much rather have another bike.

Thanks for the info, I'll check with the insurance company today and see how outrageous this is going to be and then I'll make my decision.

So I called today and I'm looking at about $8000/year on full coverage and $2000/year on liability :shocked: hate to say it but looks like I'm going to have to go with the truck instead :P , but I think it's still a good deal I'll get a bike later on in life :thumb:

Willy, just my $.02 Canadian but, if I were in your shoes I'd be keeping your current truck and I would set some goals about saving some squish and picking up something you really want a couple of years down the road - kinda like rewarding yourself for getting your carreer going. :thumb:

Holy crap, $8k? :eek:

If you want a bike like one of those in the future get your motorcycle license ASAP. You see there are two big factors. First is your age and the second is how many years you have been motorcycle licensed. Even a 40 year old with zero years of having a motorcycle license will probably pay $4k/yr. With five years of having a motorcycle license it might only be $1k.

So I called today and I'm looking at about $8000/year on full coverage and $2000/year on liability :shocked: hate to say it but looks like I'm going to have to go with the truck instead :P , but I think it's still a good deal I'll get a bike later on in life :thumb:
Holy crap, to insure WHAT? I pay $102 a YEAR to insure my bike.