Wheelies..

i was practicing wheelies Sunday last on the 125 i could get the wheel up but hadn't the guts to go right back im sure when i get my 300 ill have no problem getting the front up ...one thing that stops me is i can't hover on the back break while riding iv to concisely move my foot to press it ##fells unatural

I'm 33 and I got to show my son what "looping it out" means this weekend.

"Dad, did you mean to do that?"

"Yes, of course son! Now you know what not to do..."

So I'm an "adult" and want to learn how to float the front end around. What's the problem? :crash::smirk:

So I'm an "adult" and want to learn how to float the front end around. What's the problem? :crash::smirk:

Balance, throttle control and rear brakes coordinated in the appropriate amounts is what you need. I can't tell you what the appropriate ratio is for because it depends on the individual. With that said you need lots and lots of practice. I've been riding for almost 40yrs and I can't ride a wheelie for very long but I can hold the wheel up long enough to control it over obstacles and when I want it. Good luck.

Balance, throttle control and rear brakes coordinated in the appropriate amounts is what you need. I can't tell you what the appropriate ratio is for because it depends on the individual. With that said you need lots and lots of practice. I've been riding for almost 40yrs and I can't ride a wheelie for very long but I can hold the wheel up long enough to control it over obstacles and when I want it. Good luck.

Yes! That's all want, is to be able to predictably carry the front wheel a few feet off the ground for a little while. I've been riding for 10 years (but only about 50 hours on dirt) and I was always too chicken sh*t to try them on my street bikes. Now that I'm riding more off road, it's time to figure it out! It's something I've always wanted to check off "motorcycling bucket list"...

Yes! That's all want, is to be able to predictably carry the front wheel a few feet off the ground for a little while. I've been riding for 10 years (but only about 50 hours on dirt) and I was always too chicken sh*t to try them on my street bikes. Now that I'm riding more off road, it's time to figure it out! It's something I've always wanted to check off "motorcycling bucket list"...

If you keep snapping off rear fenders your doing it wrong. But if you have fun doing it.....then it doesn't matter.

A lot of guys pull their rear fenders when they practice. Especially the ones that try to ride the fast verticals wheelies. Really all you need is to hold a wheelie for a few feet at about 20" to break rollers or jump stumps.

I guess I would suggest you find a small bike with a really easy to use power delivery. I developed my technique in the day of the drum brake, and we seldom if ever used it to control the front end. Back then we started out on something like a honda 90 and just lifted the front and dragged our toes up and down the block like training wheels. then when you started feeling better you put one foot up and did it awhile, then both feet.

usually sitting. then you go from there.

finally in 1980 I got a ktm 420 that had such a sweet powerband I could do them easily one handed, up hills and around corners. just takes time and be ready to buy some parts.

I rode a lot of wheelies today. It was fun. :smirk:

Had to qoute this...:smirk:
Cr500 for the win all the time every time when you have the time. Hands down the only bike for wheelies, sx, arenacross, inter galactic space travel, nationals, super moto, desert dunes, Daytona 200, prison breaks, grocery shopping, trail riding, hill climbing, drag racing and getting the kids to soccer camp.

Haha. Yeah I have a YZ426 so there's plenty of power...which is good and bad as far as wheelies go. The guy I bought it from gave me an extra tail fender "because you're gonna loop it at some point". This time I managed to kinda toss it sideways so nothing broke but...I'd rather not hit the deck again if at all possible! Baby steps...baby steps...