Votes: 7 50.0%
  • 40:1

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • 50:1

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
It's all about what you are going to do with it. Choosing what ratio to run without knowing what you are going to be doing with it and what type of oil you're going to use is ludicrous.

http://www.maximausa.com/tech-tips/oil-migration.php

As for following the owners manual as gospel... In most cases, I agree 100%. For premix oil, I don't. The manufacturer does not know what you are going to do with the bike or what kind of oil you are going to use so they give you a general idea of where to start. Beyond that, it's up to you to figure out what works best for your situation. It's not like they give you a warranty and not following the manual will void that warranty.:naughty: Myself, I'm far more inclined to follow what the oil manufacturer says as THEY have done specific testing on THEIR product and know what works for the application. The bike manufacturers simply cannot do that.

Bottom line: choose a good quality oil at an appropriate ratio and stick with it. I have 35 years of riding and a smattering of bikes that support me. Incidentally, I've used Bel-Ray MC-1 synthetic at 50:1 in 65cc and 80cc motocross bikes down logging roads for extended periods with excellent results come tear down time. It can be done. This is not an endorsement for "use the stuff I do" cuz I could care less. Merely an illustration. Just don't go to Walmart and pick up some chainsaw oil.

May your 65 provide many smiles and open the door to bigger n better!

It's all about what you are going to do with it. Choosing what ratio to run without knowing what you are going to be doing with it and what type of oil you're going to use is ludicrous.

http://www.maximausa.com/tech-tips/oil-migration.php

As for following the owners manual as gospel... In most cases, I agree 100%. For premix oil, I don't. The manufacturer does not know what you are going to do with the bike or what kind of oil you are going to use so they give you a general idea of where to start. Beyond that, it's up to you to figure out what works best for your situation. It's not like they give you a warranty and not following the manual will void that warranty.:naughty: Myself, I'm far more inclined to follow what the oil manufacturer says as THEY have done specific testing on THEIR product and know what works for the application. The bike manufacturers simply cannot do that.

Bottom line: choose a good quality oil at an appropriate ratio and stick with it. I have 35 years of riding and a smattering of bikes that support me. Incidentally, I've used Bel-Ray MC-1 synthetic at 50:1 in 65cc and 80cc motocross bikes down logging roads for extended periods with excellent results come tear down time. It can be done. This is not an endorsement for "use the stuff I do" cuz I could care less. Merely an illustration. Just don't go to Walmart and pick up some chainsaw oil.

May your 65 provide many smiles and open the door to bigger n better!

On the back of my name brand oil it says to always follow the manufacturers mixing recommendations :prof: