What do you think of this bike for sale?

1992 YZ-250 Needs some work - $500

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/mcy/5802399914.html

What could it cost to fix? Are parts available? Are they inexpensive? Is it a good price? If not, what would you pay for it?

I'm getting the bike bug lately and I really like working on them and riding them, especially now that my son is into it. But I don't want to make poor purchasing decisions like I feel I already have. And I trust the many amazing people here that have helped me out so much already.
I look for bikes on Craigslist everyday and seem to have a knack for finding basket-cases, but would prefer to post what I find here before I consider buying again.

These questions apply to all of the bikes listed below.

Last edited:

SRAD97750

Staff member
From what's listed here, I'd only be interested in the 250/125 2Ts and that magna.... Dat magna tho... -BIG DAN :thumb:

Well that was entertaining! I looked at em all :picard:

Gotta love Craigslist, one seller says all it needs is rings- and half the motor is missing! Hahahaha
$150 or trade for what's in the mystery box

another guy says I don't have the money to fix. Not quite sure what it needs. So..how do you know you don't have te money if you don know what it needs?

and the magna, guy says 'fair' condition I'd like to see what he calls poor condition! If all it needs is a cam chain it makes me wonder how that little item was discovered faulty.

and that kx125 holy crap, they guy says straight up bike for sale ...belongs to someone else!!! hahahhaha!! Sure possession is 9/10 but damn! and the spooge on that swingarm omg dude. Turf, you're nuts. Looks to me like a speed date with a crusher! for the lot!
That gives me an idea I'm gonna look through my Craig's and see if there is any funnies..

1992 YZ-250 Needs some work - $500

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/mcy/5802399914.html

What could it cost to fix? Are parts available? Are they inexpensive? Is it a good price? If not, what would you pay for it?

I'm getting the bike bug lately and I really like working on them and riding them, especially now that my son is into it. But I don't want to make poor purchasing decisions like I feel I already have. And I trust the many amazing people here that have helped me out so much already.
I look for bikes on Craigslist everyday and seem to have a knack for finding basket-cases, but would prefer to post what I find here before I consider buying again.

These questions apply to all of the bikes listed below.

200-250 if it will turn over. I think I still have a complete wide ratio transmission that will fit it and I can send that with the xr200 suspension parts!

And not a dirtbike, but;
1985 honda magna - $250
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/5743813743.html
I used to have one like this and love these bikes.
I do believe the 750 sabre was the same engine. I have a set of useable heads and cams for it. 250 for a bike that was appealing for it's day that is complete would be appealing to me too. It is perhaps one of the hardest things to work on that I have (still have the sabre.) smoothest running engine I have been on.

You wont really like the twin carbs. The rod is different than the 600 (smaller wrist pin) so going bigger on that engine is hard. It was only produced a couple of years and pistons are limited. For a few dollars more you can probably find a single carbed 600 that you will like better. get one that is 91 or newer and you have an outstanding set of forks with it.

And that is why I love this forum, and exactly the info I was looking for.
Turf, you're nuts.
I know this.
But if a guy could pick up these bikes for next to nothing, which I seem to be able to do and I'm patient, are any of them worth it?

The XR100 I actually offered him $125.00 and up to $150.00 if it was complete. Part of that has to do with my kid wants it, so you know how that goes.
And I bet I could get the Magna for under $100.00, it's been posted for a month.
Dude with the YZ250 claims he cant keep the bike running, has to keep revving it.

I'm just always looking for a good deal and to add another bike to the garage or flip. Plus, I completed a bunch of projects lately and I'm starting to become bored without them. I guess I always need to have something in a state of dis-repair :smirk:

And of course if I was rich I would just go buy a bigger garage and stock it with cool bikes and cars, but since that isn't the case, this is the alternative.