What do you think of this bike for sale?

Oh okay, I gotcha. Yeah that makes sense now. Lets hope that's the case right?
I'm more than happy to low-ball a guy only to have to rebuild or maybe even just clean a carburetor.
I offered him 200 for it but he declined. I'm waiting to see if he'll take 250.
KBB trade-in value is 685.

Well it is just the starters. A neglected bike owned by a series of guys like him, is going to have lots of issues. Sadly, he hasn't spent lots of money buying pipes, reed cages and gimmicks to "fix" it. I get them that way on occasion that have all new hard parts from the crankshaft north. Still won't run right so like "all" his friends say, "sometimes they just get old".

I'm gonna heed your recommendation, and if he wont take 250 for it I'm gonna let him sit on it. If he does I'll go check it out.
In my experience people around here tend to think that their machines are worth way more than they are if they are pretty, running or not. And most people don't like to admit that they overpaid so they think they recoup what they put into it.
This appears to be especially true with motorcycles and trucks. Probably even more so with trucks. It's crazy.

I guess I always need to have something in a state of dis-repair :smirk:
Yeah me too, that's why I like to have more than one. One to ride, and one to wrench on. I only have room for riders though, my wife and I have an agreement I can have as many bikes as I want as long as I ride them! "were not running a junkyard" I had a complete 84 xr250r with a broken cam and trashed head. For what it would have cost me to rebuild it i could have bought a running 250f. So I put off fixing it. for too long. I wound up selling it to the parts yard for $200 and took my wife out to dinner :) damn right

About a month later I bought a 250f and took it apart :banana:

I may be partial to the YZ, but only if things are still available. The 88 I rebuilt for a budy for beer was fun, and only 600 in parts (he paid, I drank). That bike is a screamer and scares the big boys now. Funny that bike had a bad rap called the clapper for years until it left him pushing. Damn solid engine in that old bitch, and she ride like a hooker on steroids. You better strap yourself on, or you are going to get bucked off.

I would snag that xr100
The one with the cylinder in a box? For how much?
I offered him up to $150 but I think he feels insulted, and wont return my texts now. Those thing book out at $450 trade-in value.

YZ guy turned down my offer for 250. It books at $685.

I still have yet to make an offer for the Magna. I would love a Magna again. They book at $1150.

Way too hot for me to touch. No title is a bad idea.... STOLEN!!!!
I used to assume that too, but it seems to be very common around here, especially with the older bikes. I can't believe that all the ones without titles are stolen, but I would run the numbers at the DMV beforehand.

I've decided to stay away from the 500-600's, I already have one that I'm working on and it's probably too much bike for me.
If I had things my way I would find a 250-350 dirtbike for me, a 100-110ish dirtbike for the kid, and a streetbike project. Also, a decent 400 street-legal enduro (Suzuki DRZ?) would be welcome too.

Edit: Here are the results from my latest search;
1994 Suzuki RMZ 250 - $400
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/5804180181.html

Last edited:
Here are a couple more I didn't mention;
1997 Honda XR100R motorcycle - $550
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/5797983440.html

1992 Kawasaki KLR - $450
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/5791363362.html

Truth be told, if I had it my way I would have everyone last one of the above mentioned bikes sitting in my garage right now, provided I could get them for a reasonable price. I just love bikes and fixing shit. I have 30+ years experience doing so, and am quite good at it.
My garage only holds two cars, but as many bikes that I can fit in there.
I'm also the entrepreneurial type.
I have been recently been considering building a decent size shed in my back yard to handle the extra needed space, and after being hosed for some auto tires this afternoon, I am even considering buying a tire mounting and balancing machine for it, (which I used to do). I bet they could pay for themselves in a short time.

Last edited:
The 97 xr100 is much more my style for a number of reasons.
Sure it's a couple hundred more than the parts box but seriously, it's way more expensive and time consuming to replace missing or broken than it is to refurbish and tune a runner. Not to mention, you may not even notice crucial parts missing if you haven't removed/categorized them upon teardown.
And, if that's the owners garage, he's got a 2k fridge a couple of high dollar tool boxes and an epoxy floor... he's obo all day long. Probably not going to squabble over $100 just want it gone and obviously doesn't know how to fix it.

Probably not going to squabble over $100 just want it gone
You we're right!
I told him how much my son wanted it and was willing to spend his life savings on it and asked if he would take $400.00.
He responded with "I understand, I have 8 kids and went through the motorcycle stage many times", so done deal.
The 1997 XR100 will be in my garage tomorrow, and I'll have a matched set.