What do you keep in your pack?

I go even more overkill. One thing I alway have is one of the SPOTs. I feel something like it is required for solo riding.

As far as CO2 goes it usually only takes a couple to seat a tire. I carry a pump because others usually have CO2 and my pump is a backup. It takes about 1000 pumps with that thing to seat a rear tire. I am going to get a "Second Wind" pump that is both a CO2 system and a manual air pump.

First I have the tools on the bike. I call it the rebuild the bike on the side of the trail. I use the tools from this kit for most of my bike work both at home and ony in the field.
8,10,12,14,17 combo wrenches
5.5, 6, 8 ,10, 12, 14,17 sockets some duplication as I have 1/4 and 3/8 drive
3/8 ratchet, 1/4 ratchet, 1/4 Thandle that takes 1/4 socket on all three ends
tire iron
8 inch Crescent (doubles as second tire iron)
5,6mm allen in both L wrenches an 3/8 drive
2 small vice grips
straight and phillips screwdriver
screwdriver that takes removable bits including a 1/4 drive one
regular and needle nose pliers
chain breaker
offset screwdrivers
misc nuts and bolts
putty 5 minute epoxy
bike air pump
Leatherman multi tool
front tube
air pressure gage
bungee cords
wire for temp attachments
A bunch of stuff that I'm forgetting

Backpack
Enough clothing not to freeze should I break my leg.
cell phone
SPOT
GPS
Flashlight(s)
between 2 and 6 liters of water depending on temp
other chilled beverages depending
TP
PAper towles
wipes
cash
wallet
keys
camera
space blanket

Other stuff depending on the ride.

That is alot. I'm sure you probably most of it on the trail. :thinking:

I go even more overkill. One thing I alway have is one of the SPOTs. I feel something like it is required for solo riding.

As far as CO2 goes it usually only takes a couple to seat a tire. I carry a pump because others usually have CO2 and my pump is a backup. It takes about 1000 pumps with that thing to seat a rear tire. I am going to get a "Second Wind" pump that is both a CO2 system and a manual air pump.

First I have the tools on the bike. I call it the rebuild the bike on the side of the trail. I use the tools from this kit for most of my bike work both at home and ony in the field.
8,10,12,14,17 combo wrenches
5.5, 6, 8 ,10, 12, 14,17 sockets some duplication as I have 1/4 and 3/8 drive
3/8 ratchet, 1/4 ratchet, 1/4 Thandle that takes 1/4 socket on all three ends
tire iron
8 inch Crescent (doubles as second tire iron)
5,6mm allen in both L wrenches an 3/8 drive
2 small vice grips
straight and phillips screwdriver
screwdriver that takes removable bits including a 1/4 drive one
regular and needle nose pliers
chain breaker
offset screwdrivers
misc nuts and bolts
putty 5 minute epoxy
bike air pump
Leatherman multi tool
front tube
air pressure gage
bungee cords
wire for temp attachments
A bunch of stuff that I'm forgetting

Backpack
Enough clothing not to freeze should I break my leg.
cell phone
SPOT
GPS
Flashlight(s)
between 2 and 6 liters of water depending on temp
other chilled beverages depending
TP
PAper towles
wipes
cash
wallet
keys
camera
space blanket

Other stuff depending on the ride.

That is alot. I'm sure you probably most of it on the trail. :thinking:

I carry all that stuff from experience. I've had my head cover and both side covers off on the trail in the past. I do need to go over my kit as it has some redundancy. One thing I would love to see is some lightweight versions of some of the heavier tools. A aluminum bodied 3/8 ratchet and crescent wrench would be cool. I'm sure the cost would be insane though.

I also carry some first aid items. I carry bandaids, gauze pads, gauze roller bandage, ace bandage, plus some other stuff. I need to add a splint of some kind. Maybe a SAM splint.

I like the idea of those instant towels. I may have to get some of those.

I carry all that stuff from experience. I've had my head cover and both side covers off on the trail in the past. I do need to go over my kit as it has some redundancy. One thing I would love to see is some lightweight versions of some of the heavier tools. A aluminum bodied 3/8 ratchet and crescent wrench would be cool. I'm sure the cost would be insane though.

I also carry some first aid items. I carry bandaids, gauze pads, gauze roller bandage, ace bandage, plus some other stuff. I need to add a splint of some kind. Maybe a SAM splint.

Motion Pro has a 3/8 drive ratchet adapter that fits into their aluminum wrench/spoon combo levers. Replacing your tire lever and ratchet with these would save some weight. It won't save money though, as the stuff isn't cheap. They also make some real trick titanium wrenches, too.
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/t_6_combo_lever/
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/titanium_wrenches/

James

Staff member
where i ride is never more than a 15 minute hike back to the truck.
:lol: I got you beat, I'm never more then about a 1/4 - 1/2 mile from my truck. However I always grab the top part of my tool chest, which has most of my small tools. For example I could swap out the piston or replace the wheel bearings if needed, but I would have to bring new ones along first. :P I generally only need a small screwdriver (for suspension adjustments) and 8,10,12 mm sockets for most other things. :thumb:

:lol: I got you beat, I'm never more then about a 1/4 - 1/2 mile from my truck. However I always grab the top part of my tool chest, which has most of my small tools. For example I could swap out the piston or replace the wheel bearings if needed, but I would have to bring new ones along first. :P I generally only need a small screwdriver (for suspension adjustments) and 8,10,12 mm sockets for most other things. :thumb:

I think we might be able to stretch that out to a more respectable number over Turkey Day. :devil:

Saving weight is nice, if I was to lose 5 pounds of beer gut, it would make up for some of the tools I carry.
I try to carry the heavier tools in the fender pack, the lighter stuff in the backpack. I sawed off the handle on my ratchet to save a tiny bit of weight and make it easier to stow, still enough handle for leverage.
When I am doing routine maintenance on the bike at home, I occasionally use what I carry on the bike, tool wise. Easy way to see what I am carrying that I don't need, and what I should be carrying but am not.
But the best thing to do is just to ride with someone like Carl or Tim. Heck, they are got all the tools you need.

Saving weight is nice, if I was to lose 5 pounds of beer gut, it would make up for some of the tools I carry.
I try to carry the heavier tools in the fender pack, the lighter stuff in the backpack. I sawed off the handle on my ratchet to save a tiny bit of weight and make it easier to stow, still enough handle for leverage.
When I am doing routine maintenance on the bike at home, I occasionally use what I carry on the bike, tool wise. Easy way to see what I am carrying that I don't need, and what I should be carrying but am not.
But the best thing to do is just to ride with someone like Carl or Tim. Heck, they are got all the tools you need.

But will I stop and help? :devil:

Well said Tim, I was looking at your post and can see some things will interchange with a Husky (tools only). Your spare parts are of no use to me. :lol: I have about the same but do not carry the spair levers.