What Chain Lube Do You Use?

What Brand Chain Lube Do You Use?

• Total voters

James

Staff member
It's time to place a parts/supplies order and chain lube is on the list. I'm currently using the Silkolene Chain Lube, but I see they also have a Pro version. Is it better or is it just more money in their pocket?

I've also tried Bel Ray's chain lube but that stuff goes on way to thick and ends up being flung everywhere.

I like the Bel Ray Super Clean. If it does sling off, my bike seams cleaner now, then with other lubes I've used.
futurearts.jpg

I haven't tried it yet, but a lot of people have been telling me to use Maxima Chain Wax:

Maxima_Chain_Wax_detail.jpg

thats what i got but i have never used anything else as i just got my first bike not long ago so i cant compare for you.
i am not sure if this is normal for all chain lube but it says to ride the bike for 5 mins before applying. I dont think i ever have warmed up my chain before putting it on.

I use the Chain Wax too.. I like it ! No mess. I have over 1200 miles on my bike and the chain and sprockets still look fine.

I never warm up the chain before application..:noidea:

I use the Chain Wax too.. I like it ! No mess. I have over 1200 miles on my bike and the chain and sprockets still look fine.

I never warm up the chain before application..:noidea:

Yeah I've never heard of warming your chain, maybe it's so it sticks better :noidea:

Heating the chain is to get the lube to flow into the rollers and pins. Works on non o-ring x
chains. You need to lube a non o-ring chain.

I have used oil, synth lube, wax, etc. It all builds up and attracts the dirt. Dirt on the chain is an abrasive. I run o-rings chains now for a few years. The lube is inside the chain. I now use WD40 to displace the water after I ride and after a wash. Chains last just as long, dont get dirty, sprockets last a long time too. Its cheap as well.

It really depends on the chain type. On ringed chains the lube is mostly rust protection. There is a very minor lubing of the rings function, but the lube is really sealed inside the rings. I use the chain wax. However, you can use WD40 as well. The thick oily chain lubes tend to attract sand, grit, and dirt to the chain and those do their evil work on the rubber ring seals.

For non ring chains it's a completely different ball game. You must use the thick oily type chain lubes so there is something to lube the metal to metal contacts points of the chain. Yes you still attract the dirt to the chain, but you require some kind of lube. The only way to make a non ring chain last is to remove it after every ride and clean and then store in a container of gear oil. Then pull it out, drain, and install before the next ride. Way too much of a pain though so I use ring style chains.

I've used many, and favor honda's hp lube w/ moly. Goes on light, works in good, does not attract dirt so in turn is easy to clean off the chain when washing and it does not fling anywhere, at all. Only down side is it needs to be reapplied after each moto or several laps because it is so light. Probably wouldn't be the best choice for trail riders.

all i've been using on my chain on this bike so far has been pb blaster. i'll tell you what, my chain and sprockets look brand new still and no kinks or anything. stuff is awesome. my chain is an o-ring chain though. i know other chains need the stuff that sticks to them to get in between the links and lube everything and the o-rings keep everything lubed on chains like mine but still... keeps all the rust off :ride: