What brand and series tyre are you guy's using.

I'm going through rear tyres like nothing else, the RMX and XR650R I would understand, but I'm ripping knobs off the rear tyre of the WR250F, trying several types and brands, Dunlops pull up slightly best, but 4hrs riding and trashing a tyre can be a pain in the ass, as sometimes you go into valleys, you have to get out :shocked:, just had a Pirelli totally die up a hill wondering why the ass end wanted to crab, so one ledge wasn't to kind to the Pirelli ripping the knobs off the RHS = :foul: .

I'm running 18's as that is the "LEGAL" B.S standard you have to run on Enduro machines here, might chase a YZ 19" rear if they fit as old mate has a heap of tyres they run a few times and usually throw.

So running a 18' doesn't give you a heap of selection, fair enough the WR has a little bit of power but as far as I see, they are not "or shouldn't be" that lethal on tyres.

Tried all types of compounds etc, but nothing really shines. Fronts when matched don't seem a problem handling wise, usually change them twice a year when they start to look a little sad. Sometimes when running miss matched fronts and rears can be a bit of a hand full.

Head shake can also be a bit of a problem with the WR at speed, just needs the forks raised in the triple clamps I guess. You get some shake and it goes away fairly quickly, so no tank slapping.

Cannot complain about the bike itself, over 7000klms, with general maintenance and that's all. Will pull it down at the 10K mark, do the top and and timing chain, as someone just verified something I wondered, the timing chain gear is part of the LHS crank flywheel, bugga, couldn't they press a replaceable gear on the shaft :rolleyes: .

Ok I'm rambling about other things other then just tyres, just stuff I'm thinking about chilling out.

A :wink:

Now I'm on a tire eating XR600. I have burned out a tire in a weekend. I used to be a member of the tire of the month club.

Here is what I've found. I've got a plate so to be really road legal I need approved or "DOT" tires. Most DOT tires just don't work too good on the dirt.

For a non DOT tire the best life I've had in on the Maxxis IT or desert IT. Not the absolute best traction, but predictable. The Maxxis IT front is not a good tire. Only run one one time and never ever again. Currently I'm running the Pirelli MT43 rear. I'm sold on these tires. My first outlasted the front tire. Never had that happen before. I would guess that I got nearly 3000 km out of that tire.

I always thought that 18's had by far the widest selection.

Now I'm on a tire eating XR600. I have burned out a tire in a weekend. I used to be a member of the tire of the month club.

Here is what I've found. I've got a plate so to be really road legal I need approved or "DOT" tires. Most DOT tires just don't work too good on the dirt.

For a non DOT tire the best life I've had in on the Maxxis IT or desert IT. Not the absolute best traction, but predictable. The Maxxis IT front is not a good tire. Only run one one time and never ever again. Currently I'm running the Pirelli MT43 rear. I'm sold on these tires. My first outlasted the front tire. Never had that happen before. I would guess that I got nearly 3000 km out of that tire.

I always thought that 18's had by far the widest selection.
wow, a tire every weekend? i make my tires last for about 8 months and i ride an average of every 8 days

wow, a tire every weekend? i make my tires last for about 8 months and i ride an average of every 8 days

Yeah don't know about cleonard, but I think I'm going to have to keep away from this kind of stuff, and this is only the easy stuff shown in the photo, I know where my tyres are getting worn, I just like to climb hills, but erosion has left very little dirt and more rock which really destroys tyres.

If you do some reading into the international 6 Day Enduro that was held in Cessnock in 1992, you may see a section called Tumblebee Mountain, what you see in the background is that Mountain, great fun to conquer but hard on the machinery.

ride-day-240211-18-jpg.6538

Thanks guy's, I'll look into them, cannot be any worse then what I am using :foul::banghead: , but then again it is the fault of the guy behind the bars to lay off the rocky stuff too :thumb:, 7 days of rain forecast, so maybe a paddle tyre is an option now ...... loll.

you know i just recently learned that you ausies spell tire differently.

Hahaha :thumb: :lol: - good spotting there Travace, we also say Mum, instead of Mom, or is that the U.K version, also think you guy's say pa instead of Dad, not sure on that one though, gets do damn hard, we also spell Jail - Gaol, although school exams accepted Jail as most of us guy's here in OZ grew up watching Sesame Street :lol:

So somewhere down the line our English got tweaked :).

Hahaha :thumb: :lol: - good spotting there Travace, we also say Mum, instead of Mom, or is that the U.K version, also think you guy's say pa instead of Dad, not sure on that one though, gets do damn hard, we also spell Jail - Gaol, although school exams accepted Jail as most of us guy's here in OZ grew up watching Sesame Street :lol:

So somewhere down the line our English got tweaked :).

Mum instead of Mom is understandable because it sounds like "mum" when you say it.

Some people say "pa" or "papa" (especially Hispanics) but "Dad" is still the norm i think. My kids call me Dad. sometimes daddy as well.

didn't know about the Jail - Gaol one :thumb:

I ran a Pirelli Scorpion MX eXTra out back on my YZ450 and it was great tire. Hooked up everywhere and lasted a good while. I am currently running a Maxxis Desert IT out back and that thing hooks up everywhere. My son liked it so much, he mounted on on his YZ250 smoker. Comes in 18" and 19". Up front I am happy with the Dunlop's MX51s.

Pirelli XCMH on the front, Maxxis IT Desert on the back. Would like to try a Dunlop D908 on the back, supposed to be an awesome tire, but I can buy 2 Maxxis for the price of one D908.
I prefer the Dunlop 739AT on the back, hooks up better than the Maxxis, but only lasts half as long.

Edit - Just checked the price of a D908 at Rocky Mountain, $200. Ouch, can get 3 Maxxis for that much coin. Bummer
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/50/86/176/1095/-/13751/Dunlop-D908-Rally-Raid-Enduro-Tire