What boots?

James

Staff member
First off welcome to the forum. :ride:

Boots are like helmets, you get what you pay for and $350 will put you right into the decent/good boot category. I wouldn't go any lower, your ankles will thank you. :thumb:

I've been wearing the same Alpinstars Tech 7's for the past few years and they've held up nicely. As luck would have it, they're $349.
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/Alpinestars-Tech7-Boots

Couple other notes:
Like helmets I wouldn't buy used boots as they form to your feet.
Get them snug as they'll break in/loosen up over time.
As with helmets, you want them snug/tight as they don't offer as much protection when your feet are bouncing around inside them.
It's also harder to shift when your boots are to big.
White looks nice until after the first ride.

Fox F3 all the way for me, still used by pros like Josh Hill. Astars have lost quality IMO. The F3s are a little heavy but great quality. Heres mine after a 140+ gate drop season, and practice.DSC_1229-2.jpg
photo by james :wink:

James

Staff member
Fox F3 all the way for me, still used by pros like Josh Hill. Astars have lost quality IMO. The F3s are a little heavy but great quality. Heres mine after a 140+ gate drop season, and practice.View attachment 12030
photo by james :wink:
Ever ask them how much they get paid to wear them? That's most likely the only way you'd ever see me wear a pair.

the best boot for the money is the Gaerne GX-1 or G-React
I had a pair before I had the coin for the SG-10's, although they lack some of the features of the higher end boots like a braced ankle, they hold up extremely well, after a years worth of desert racing mine still looked practically new.

I've heard good things about the Jett J-1 though, but I haven't worn them.
http://www.btosports.com/p/JETT10J1
I'd also be tempted to try these
http://www.btosports.com/c/Boots#/?filter.brand=Forma&page=1

James

Staff member
I really like mine :noidea: The instincts are nicer though, I tried a pair on
Yeah the Instincts look like they might actually not be that bad. However I'd pay money to not wear the Fox Comps, seen to many people hurt in those.

Yeah the Instincts look like they might actually not be that bad. However I'd pay money to not wear the Fox Comps, seen to many people hurt in those.
I had a friend that put a hole in a couple month old pair of Fox Comp 5's just kicking a crf250r over, the bike started on the first kick too :lol:

I used to think that my lower end boots were great and that SG-10's, Tech 10's, Sidi's and the like were just paying for the name, but after owning a pair of sg-10's, I now see how horribly wrong i was :shocked: I'm sure the new instincts are good boots as well.

James

Staff member
I had a friend that put a hole in a couple month old pair of Fox Comp 5's just kicking a crf250r over, the bike started on the first kick too :lol:

I used to think that my lower end boots were great and that SG-10's, Tech 10's, Sidi's and the like were just paying for the name, but after owning a pair of sg-10's, I now see how horribly wrong i was :shocked: I'm sure the new instincts are good boots as well.
Ditto. :thumb: Started out with a pair of $150 Thor Quadrants and a $120 HJC helmet. Didn't take me long to figure out that those two items were crap, never again.

A $5 jersey off a clearance table is one thing, but don't skimp on the stuff that really matters. :ride:

Ditto. :thumb: Started out with a pair of $150 Thor Quadrants and a $120 HJC helmet. Didn't take me long to figure out that those two items were crap, never again.

A $5 jersey off a clearance table is one thing, but don't skimp on the stuff that really matters. :ride:
and if you shop around come december, you can usually get a good quality lid for around the same price as hte cheapies :thumb:

Boots are all different to each person. You need to go try them all on and walk around the store to see how the feel and settle. Also make sure you are trying them on with boot socks like you would be riding. $350 is going to get you a good boot. I wear Tech 10's currently and love the feel and wear of these boots. I have worn Tech 6, Tech 8 and now Tech 10s for many years with no issues on FFF or Quality. Some people do not like the bootie so they go another route. I like the Sidi boots as well and have heard good things about them. Do not buy a boot because that is what everybody is wearing, buy a boot that fits you and feel good.

after wrecking, it all matters, specially the pants too :shocked:

after wrecking, it all matters, specially the pants too :shocked:
I'm curious as to how you think any jersey is any different from the next, I've worn gear sets from about 7 different companies(including Fox), none of it being more protective than the last. They're really nothing more than a shirt with cool designs on it.

Protection comes in the form of guards, boots, helmets, braces, pants and jerseys are all pretty much the same with the only real difference being quality, colors, and price