What are some of the fastest dirt bikes ever made?

The wider ratio cr500's could turn up into the 90's with stock gearing. My first Kx 500 ran a low 13 second quarter of a mile. Five passes in one day and they all ended with 96 mph runs. FYI that was a single plugged air cooler. It had one tooth added to the counter shaft.

I haven't read a real test of the atk or maico. I heard very low tuned for rideability and starting ease. (The almost invisible 700's)

Lots of us think dirtbike and something with a 21 inch front tire
Pops up. Think a little broader and look at some of the dirttrackers. Include Harley 750's and something like a GM speedway bike. A Maely engined speedway bike pushed me from a corner and down a straight away a whole lot harder than any if my cr's, Kx 's, rm's or yz's ever did. The vtwins run in the 130's and then turn around and do it 25 more times in national events. Overbuilt 450's do pretty amazing things too.

Last edited:
not on stock gearing I bet. my klr will put over 100 mph on the speedometer, and other than a modified stock exhaust and jetting to match it, it is just a stocker with over 10 k on it. dunlop road tires. it probably wont do within 5mph of the speed if it is on radar. gps is probably as close as the speedo, varied on the day as to which one was high and which one was low.

I have had close to stock xr600's that would do similar, actually had a good 5 mph on the cr500 (with stock gearing). it gets there in a WHOLE different way.

None compared to the alcohol burners or twins when it got back to gaining speed on the dirt though.

I'm about positive a 1969 Honda trail 90 would leave any big bore 2 stroke in the dust...
If you gave me a tankfull of gas in either one and told me I had to choose one to ride home on, I am sure I would choose the honda 90, and somewhere at the 30 mile or so mark leave any of the bigbore two strokes I own or have owned in the dust.

Well, for some of you perverts I only picked 1969 cause my grandpa has a restored 1969 trail 90. Was not mentioning it for the sex aspect haha...

Hehe I said 69 twice

really old thread but none the less, I had my phone with a gps speedo/odo running while I was out trying to figure out a flowing race course for an event in about a month, my 09 kx450f is still on stock gearings (13/51) and other than a fmf slip on (doesn't do shit) is stock, hit 85 mph. If I was interested in such things, I'm sure with a little work I could have it in the triple digits.

really old thread but none the less, I had my phone with a gps speedo/odo running while I was out trying to figure out a flowing race course for an event in about a month, my 09 kx450f is still on stock gearings (13/51) and other than a fmf slip on (doesn't do shit) is stock, hit 85 mph. If I was interested in such things, I'm sure with a little work I could have it in the triple digits.

Hundered n sumptin......that's the speed that a turd leaves the rectum and gets smeared all over the shorts.

With the right flux capasitor and three more miles per hour, you could have done some time travel. :noidea: