What are some of the fastest dirt bikes ever made?

I assume it will be late model, but maybe there's a couple that are not? I know speed isn't everything, but I was curious (possibly for a future restoration) what your opinion is .... what is the baddest bike of all time??? :)

SRAD97750

Staff member
Top speed or acceleration?
I imagine a big 4T owns the top speed. (My DR650 did 125mph in stock trim)
I imagine a big 2T owns the acceleration. (My WR500 is faster than a streetbike to about 40mph)
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Top speed or acceleration?
I imagine a big 4T owns the top speed. (My DR650 did 125mph in stock trim)
I imagine a big 2T owns the acceleration. (My WR500 is faster than a streetbike to about 40mph)

Either is fine! Would like to see some of the best in these areas.

I used to have a 2003 DR650SE, fastest I got mine up to was about 110 on the interstate. Good bikes, but I really wouldn't consider it a dirt bike.

Hrmmm a WR500 ... sounds cool I will have to check that out :smirk:

SRAD97750

Staff member
A 2003 DR650SE... but I really wouldn't consider it a dirt bike...
IMHO...
DR650, XT600, XR600, XR650.... they are all dirt bikes that have the power for road use.

:smirk:
Probably the quickest accelerating... But not an oem production model...

The ATK700 has got to be pretty bad ass in the acceleration department, but the CR500/KX500 probably own the fastest accelerating OEM production bikes.

I am pretty sure a big bore 4T has the top speed. One of the 450s, KTM500, or possibly an XR650.

2005_700_Intimidator.jpg

IMHO...
DR650, XT600, XR600, XR650.... they are all dirt bikes that have the power for road use.

:smirk:
Probably the quickest accelerating... But not an oem production model...

The ATK700 has got to be pretty bad ass in the acceleration department, but the CR500/KX500 probably own the fastest accelerating OEM production bikes.

I am pretty sure a big bore 4T has the top speed. One of the 450s, KTM500, or possibly an XR650.

View attachment 23568
for reference purposes, when Honda was running the XR650R they had a top speed of 115 mph. I have friends that race BITD, one of whom hit 105 on a KTM 500
:thumb:

for reference purposes, when Honda was running the XR650R they had a top speed of 115 mph. I have friends that race BITD, one of whom hit 105 on a KTM 500
:thumb:

You hear so many claims from every manufacture, so it's good to hear real world numbers, like what you put up...I've heard that tha cr and kx 500's can hit near 120(which in stock gearing is bs) then they don't even make the list where the low bike is around 85....I don't remember any of the fastest bike lists have the XR 650 there, but I've heard it's pretty damn fast from people who have ridden them. Now are we including adventure bikes in this list
Because I've heard from a buddy of mine the BMW 1200GS can hit a buck and a quarter.

You hear so many claims from every manufacture, so it's good to hear real world numbers, like what you put up...I've heard that tha cr and kx 500's can hit near 120(which in stock gearing is bs) then they don't even make the list where the low bike is around 85....I don't remember any of the fastest bike lists have the XR 650 there, but I've heard it's pretty damn fast from people who have ridden them. Now are we including adventure bikes in this list
Because I've heard from a buddy of mine the BMW 1200GS can hit a buck and a quarter.
the xr is the one Johnny Campbell was racing in baja, not really standard equipment.

I don't see any bike with a motocross gear box hitting 120, regardless of the fact that they put 500cc's of 2 stroke in front of it, it just wouldn't have the power to exit the hole. Most of you mx bikes are going to be in the 60-80 mph range. Of course I could be wrong because I never raced a 500 2t, but from what I know of mx gear boxes its not happening, perhaps he who raced them in the desert will chime in.

Just to give an idea of what is required to get one of these up to 100+

notice how much he has to slip the clutch to take off?

Last edited:
the xr is the one Johnny Campbell was racing in baja, not really standard equipment.

I don't see any bike with a motocross gear box hitting 120,
regardless of the fact that they put 500cc's of 2 stroke in
front of it, it just wouldn't have the power to exit the hole.
Most of you mx bikes are going to be in the 60-80 mph
range. Of course I could be wrong because I never raced a
500 2t, but from what I know of mx gear boxes its not
happening, perhaps he who raced them in the desert will
chime in.
I'd like to hear from somebody who's raced the Baha, those guys are FAF!

Just to give an idea of what is required to get one of these up to 100+

notice how much he has to slip the clutch to take off?

I have always heArd that the mxer 500's are in the mid 90's as far as too speed and I've only ever ridden a kaboom 500 wot. Fast!

The XR600 I had over a hundred in stock trim and tht was back in 88.