Water submerged bike

there is no really good way to get one home under its own power if the lubricants have been contaminated. turning it over and blowing it out is a start, but if you got much water in the cylinder your bearings now have sand in them in every case where i have submerged one.

all good ideas here. you can let the bike sit awhile and get the motor oil and water to separate out somewhat. you can use fuel to clean the cylinder and flush the trans or engine. you can drain your fork oil out in some cases and refill your trans in an extreme case. just not a really good solution or one that will beat hauling it home and taking it apart.

Nice Andy.
Fork oil is your first defense. Never enough in both tubes to do an engine though. Great if you run out of gas and need oil in it for 2T.

I've done this many times....it's known as "the drill" what I do is close to what everybody else does here. I'll turn off gas, pull the plug,remove air filter and dry out filter as good as possible, drain the carb float bowl, stand bike on end and let the exhaust drain, flip bike the rest of the way upside down, and in high gear, spin rear wheel for aproximately 60 seconds to let the water get thourly pumped out of the cylinder, re install plug and air filter, turn on gas and choke, and it will then start. And by the way, I wont let it wreck the ride, I'll continue as normal, and finish my maintenance at home. when I change the oil I dont do anything special. never had any problems after maybe performing the drill a couple dozen times.

Last edited:
Easy enough to make a two stroke transmission happy 6-700 cc's out of the 'easy' side of showas. malcom smith made the trick known in the day when you put about 200 cc's per side in a set of 35mm conventionals on his husky. those had plus 1 qt capacities. it's an extreme case thing, more so even than his other more often used trick of breaking a clutch plate in two and doubling it to get a similar husqvarna home that had burned the plates.

Since we all used to run motor oil or atf in the forks i would be less nervous about filling from them. not so certain about the silicon fork oils, but if your transmission or engine oil became contaminated to the point you had little other choices you do what you have to and then fix it when you get home. letting gas or oil set for 45 mins to 2 hours will allow you to drain off the water and then take your chances with other contaminants. always a judgement call.

I just remember reading about a man who left his atv after breaking through the ice and trying to walk out of a hunting camp. severely frostbitten feet and a search party and and lots of embarassing publicity for him. one of his friends retrieved the atv by simply cleaning out the carburetor and roll starting it and bringing it home. pays to know a few tricks.

Where some of you live now and where I used to live, you could be a victim of heat stroke etc by the time you got halfway back to your truck. Again, great questions to cover BEFORE it happens.

never ever thought of using the fork oil. good call. so do you guys know any other more tricks like this? Just any random bit of information for a sticky situation? I would like to know as many as possible