Want to upgrade to a diesel?

I daily drived a diesel M1009 for a year and it did great. That 6.2 is a whole different beast than these newer diesels though. I'm sure the Cummins 12v or an NA 7.3 can be comparable. I got 17-20mpg and the only thing I had to do was change my glowplugs...$80. Besides fuel and Rotella T, that's about all I spent on it.

I stand by the 6.2 (possibly alone :smirk:), but it's great for a daily driver in a full size application. GM had fuel economy in mind when they built it. As long as you dont haul much heavy stuff, or have a need for speed, an old squarebody Chevy with a 6.2 would be good. Allow it to warm up for 10 minutes or so and it's good.

I loved driving a diesel, I wish I still had one...but I had to sell it to suit my motorcycle needs.

PS: The smell of diesel in the morning is the most glorious wake up.

In germany its totally different, oddly most of the normal cars are diesels, yes cars not trucks. I have a 1.7l in my car (diesel) and love it, Pulls any trailer it needs to (ofc the trailer cant way more then the car :D) and also I get good MPG 46+ ^^.

The :USA: is in need of a good 3 cyl diesel lorrie aka pickup. It would be cool if Ford or GM came out with a 1/2 ton 3 cyl diesel.

Hay...hay... Cummins 4BBL? :wink:

Diesel is the way of the future. If they really want to get somewhere with the "going green", they will look towards diesel engines. You have a huge selection of alternative fuels that a diesel can burn, and remain very efficent. Regular diesel fuel is cheaper to produce, and alternative fuels can be even cheaper. Dont forget about WVO!

I had a 2000 F350 with the 7.3 Diesel in it. I loved that truck I had it for 3 years and towed one trailer with it. It cost me 80 bucks an oil change and I was filling it up once every two weeks. That truck ate front brakes. I put front brakes on that thing 1 once a year. I also put two rear main seals in it. I finally sold it because I did not see the need to drive a 4 wheel drive quad cab diesel by myself everyday back and forth to work. When I sold it it was 10 years old and needed new shocks and tires plus diesel fuel was like 4.50 a gallon.

Diesel's have their place. As a daily driver I think it is a bit overkill but it is always nice to have that stump pulling power if you need it. Plus always remember when you have a truck all your friends need help moving.

Ford has been talking about it forever.... Theres was going to be a 4cylinder. I sure wish they would. :drool:
Dodge actually has actually had a diesel motor built since 09 made for the 1/2 tons because that was all the talk a couple years ago. I bet ford already has one designed too. Wonder who will finally come out with one :thinking: