Waking up from a nap

James

Staff member
Its a pain in the ass to check them.
:noidea: Different strokes for different folks.

Pretty sure I can have the valve cover off in less time then it takes to remove the carb. I'll be checking them this spring when I prep the bike, I'll time myself.

Pretty sure I can have the valve cover off in less time then it takes to remove the carb. I'll be checking them this spring when I prep the bike, I'll time myself.

loosen 2 screws, twist the carb sideways, pull the bowl bolt, remove jets, replace jets, install bowl bolt, straighten carb, tighten boot screws, turn gas on and :ride:

James

Staff member
loosen 2 screws, twist the carb sideways, pull the bowl bolt, remove jets, replace jets, install bowl bolt, starighten carb, tighten boot screws, turn gas on and :ride:
Could do that on the 05 but the 08 has less room to work with.
https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/threads/removing-the-float-bowl-from-a-2005-kx250f-rmz250.4205/

To check valve clearances:
Remove seat - 2 bolts
Remove shrouds - 3 bolts each
Remove fuel tank - 1 bolt
Remove valve cover - 2 bolts
Put piston to TDC
Break out the feeler gauges
Reassemble
:ride:

who removes carb to change jets :noidea: loosen the boot screws on both sides of the carb, spin the carb and pull the bowl, jets are right there. boom 10 minutes I can have them changed. :thumb:

James

Staff member
who removes carb to change jets :noidea: loosen the boot screws on both sides of the carb, spin the carb and pull the bowl, jets are right there. boom 10 minutes I can have them changed. :thumb:
Not all bikes have room to rotate the carb far enough.

10 min is also probably the amount of time I'd need to get to the valves.

So you have enough room to pull the valve cover off without pulling the tank but not enough room to rotate the carb 90*? seems ill logical, I barley have enough room to change the plug under the tank but pleanty of room to work on the carb. Funny how these bikes are built so different.

Oh and your 10 minutes was to get to the valves... my 10 mintues was it being completed and bike back running.

**wierd I didn't see your post that you do pull the tank till now**

Not my scooter, if you're going to rotate the carb enough to do any good, you have to remove the head stay.:picard:

Not all bikes have room to rotate the carb far enough.

10 min is also probably the amount of time I'd need to get to the valves.

My bike is 90 minutes minimum to get the valve cover off.:noidea: Seat, tank, pipe, radiator, head stay, wire loom.....:foul:

James

Staff member
I have never seen a 125 or 250 2 stroke that doesnt.
I'm talking about 250F's.

**wierd I didn't see your post that you do pull the tank till now**
Was going to say, I'm pretty sure I had remove tank on my list. :thumb:

The problem on my 08 is that the top of the carb hits part of the frame, which prevents you from rotating it enough to get to the bottom. Also aren't 4 stroke carbs slightly bigger?
Not my scooter, if you're going to rotate the carb enough to do any good, you have to remove the head stay.:picard:
That's how my 08 is. :thumb:
My bike is 90 minutes minimum to get the valve cover off.:noidea: Seat, tank, pipe, radiator, head stay, wire loom.....:foul:
Oh dang! Why the radiator and exhaust?