Two Stroke Porting

So if you had a two stroke or should I say when you had a two stroke. Which motor shop did you choose to port your cylinder?

Never did....
My father had a theory and it actually turns out to be fact....
When you are able to ride its bike to its full potential and by full potential I mean wide open all the time and only shutting down for corners, then you will need a faster motor. -Ken Krauth, super trucker.
Now he also knew motors and anything you actually need to do on the amateur level can be accomplished with jetting and a few other adjustments.
To this day I'm a stock motor guy, the only thing that prevents me from using OEM replacement parts 95% of the time is cost.....
If I had to choose someone to port and polish then it would be Eric Gore or PC. More than likely Eric Gore as he himself picks up the phone on Sundays because he loves his job.

Yeah I am not sure why you would need more power out of cr500af then you already have:noidea: are you trying to get faster?? You already have the fastest bike on the planet if I am reading all of you previous post correctly.

Yeah I am not sure why you would need more power out of cr500af then you already have:noidea: are you trying to get faster?? You already have the fastest bike on the planet if I am reading all of you previous post correctly.
I like to see what I can get out of it. There are other reasons why but, I will leave that for another thread.

Last edited:
I guess we differ there, even my little 250f is faster than I can ride it, I'd rather spend money on things like a stabilizer and suspension and use the rest to ride it.

I guess I am a little bit impressed with you guys as a group. No one said anything really stupid. That in itself is unusual on a board when the subject of porting comes up.

My long time observance of people with flow benches is that there are more who have them than those who know how to use them. A vacuum gauge, and a big shop vac are a decent start to building your own. To me they are no more important to have than a file. (They won't tell you what to take off etc)

It's about 9th on my list of needs. If you consider porting a two stroke and are not familiar with the names Gordon Jennings, Irv Kanemoto, or Tom Turner, I don't think you should buy a tool until you have their writings.

If I was going to have someone port a cr500 cylinder for mid to high end, Gary Jones will be number one on the list.

I guess I am a little bit impressed with you guys as a group. No one said anything really stupid. That in itself is unusual on a board when the subject of porting comes up.

My long time observance of people with flow benches is that there are more who have them than those who know how to use them. A vacuum gauge, and a big shop vac are a decent start to building your own. To me they are no more important to have than a file. (They won't tell you what to take off etc)

It's about 9th on my list of needs. If you consider porting a two stroke and are not familiar with the names Gordon Jennings, Irv Kanemoto, or Tom Turner, I don't think you should buy a tool until you have their writings.

If I was going to have someone port a cr500 cylinder for mid to high end, Gary Jones will be number one on the list.
DUHH.......I once ported a 3 stroke with a stapler.

That is how my buddys flow bench is made lol..

An old table saw is one more thing nice to have when you go to build one too.
He bought some kit, It was like 1200 bucks. I'm not sure what it all came with. He said its pretty accurate. His friend had a "real" flowbench, they were checking it the other day. ..Screw all that fancy crap, If it feels good, its gotta flow good. :D

Yep. Not many of us have the patience or the cylinders to "spend" to learn how far is too far. Epoxy is really handy though, not much good when you have "exhausted" the outbound side.

He bought some kit, It was like 1200 bucks. I'm not sure what it all came with. He said its pretty accurate. His friend had a "real" flowbench, they were checking it the other day. ..Screw all that fancy crap, If it feels good, its gotta flow good. :D

I deal with vacuum all day long. Consistent and being able to get "leak free" is the key. I feel.

I have seen lots of cylinders that flowed well (most won't know that "well" really means) and the bike was slower than stock. If you have someone that claims he knows porting and tells you it is about reducing vacuum and doesnt mention the relationship with maintaining volume or what some think of as the ratio between lost vacuum and gained volume it may be time to shop for your porting elsewhere. Timing to me has been more important when it comes to ports than anything else. It is really pretty amazing what a small change in stroke can make. Maybe my next shot at building a fast(er) 500?

Last edited: