True or False?

faster equals less crashes?

• True

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • False

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters
Yamadogyz, almost nailed it. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Its a progression. And it really depends on whats going on at the time. Any body can ride slow. Anybody can ride fast. Now can anybody ride fast through 4 foot whoop section thats 100 yards long? Not everybody. Not even the fastest man on the planet (JS7). He proved that at the SX finals in Vegas. Is he fast, you bet he is. But he is also capable of riding so fast that he is no longer smooth and rides beyond his ability.

So your question is a tough one to answer. Does riding faster cause you crash less? Well, yes and no. It really depends on what your doing at the time, and what your riding. Carrying momentum was mentioned. Is that fast? Absolutely especially in a sandy area with turns. Maintaining momentum and proper body position is key. If your going fast you have to you have to slow down (in some cases) or your gonna blow your corner. If your going to slow the bike is gonna mush through the sand and the front end will want to hang up or wash out. But maintaining good momentum will (IMO) carry you through nearly every obstical. Woods riders (good ones) are notoriously smooth rider. They have to be. Rooted out trails are no place to be going fast. But carrying your momentum will reign superior every time (as long as your smooth and in control). And thats probably the most key factor right there. Being in control. Like I mentioned earlier even the smoothest racer (riders) can get out of control. Even Ryan Villapoto who is probably one of (if not the) smoothest riders gets out of control. How many times did he stuff it in a corner with nobody around or directly pressuring him?

So My answer to you question is False. Being smooth and IN CONTROL is what is fast and causes less crashes. Reguardless of what gear your in or your throttle position.

Bad poll. Are you talking MX or woods riding? In woods riding, the penalty for going fast and "missing" is a tree to the head, neck, and chest. For MX, it's a tumble in the dirt. The difference between the two is enormous. This past weekend, I rode to my ability and didn't exceed it. Didn't take one dirt nap and came home with all limbs in tact! :thumb: And I was stylish, if not dragging azz and making peeps wait for me!

You can ride fast through any terra as long as your suspension is set up for you and you have the talent. I am not a talented rider but I can ride fast on my bike in some sections, it just rips. But I have eaten shit hard going slower than usual. I used to get way racked up on my MTB more than my Moto. I am allot faster on the moto through sections and slower through others. I was a down hill slammer at Mammoth for years back in the day on my MTB and never crashed. Then one day in my local mountains I high sided into a bunch of Shawl and ripped my Patella Tendon of my Patella like an orange peal. two surgeries later I was good. Now I moto, have crashed but never that hard. I just don't figure the post has all the variables to give a good cast. I am still :thinking: .

Well, the faster you go, the smoother it is. That is until you start swapping out. :smirk:

Most of my crashes that resulted in injury were relatively low speed crashes (2nd gear 250f). Where my fast speed crashes, I was mostly ok. Maybe because you flip around a lot and roll with everything. :thinking: Interesting!

James

Staff member
Most of my crashes that resulted in injury were relatively low speed crashes (2nd gear 250f). Where my fast speed crashes, I was mostly ok. Maybe because you flip around a lot and roll with everything. :thinking: Interesting!
There's actually a theory behind that....:thinking:

Supposedly if you have a slow speed crash your injury rate is higher as your body will take a harder impact. Basically the slower you travel forward the faster you'll descend (fall) to the ground.

Then on the opposite end, the faster you travel forward the slower you'll descend/fall.

For example, remember that "superman" video I posted the other day? (:smirk:) Well what you didn't know is that I also crashed in a corner that day and IMO that actually hurt worse. :crash: :cripple: However it wasn't as spectacular so I didn't post it. :P

Supposedly if you have a slow speed crash your injury rate is higher as your body will take a harder impact. Basically the slower you travel forward the faster you'll descend (fall) to the ground.

Then on the opposite end, the faster you travel forward the slower you'll descend/fall.

For example, remember that "superman" video I posted the other day? (:smirk:) Well what you didn't know is that I also crashed in a corner that day and IMO that actually hurt worse. :crash: :cripple: However it wasn't as spectacular so I didn't post it. :P

OK!...

:thinking: Interesting! Let's conduct a DBA experiment on this! I vote James as the test subject. :prof: