Trip to the Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, took a trip out to Sand Mtn over the weekend and wanted to share some pics.

We were calling this one a "recon run" because it was kind of last minute, and we were traveling fairly light: no trailer, no motorhome, just slumming it in my pile of Chevy. Had a good trip, no injuries, no breakdowns. The 300 ran like a raped ape, and I found out how to tune it for the next run. The [factory] jetting was fine, but it would have been nice to have the powervalve opening sooner, so next time it's getting the red spring and some turns on the screw. It was pulling 4th gear up Comp Hill, so I was impressed. (I'm about 240 or 250 lbs with gear on). :thumb:

For once, we actually stopped for a minute and whipped out the pocket camera. I'm a horrible photographer, but we ended up with some ok pics (if you don't mind bad exposure, framing, etc).

What else? It hit 27 degrees F on Friday night, and was a little bit windy on Saturday. Sunday turned out primo, bordering on too danged hot. The dry air out there makes for a challenge staying hydrated. Next time, there will be NO TEQUILA on arrival night. Duh. :cry:

Here's the mountain on Sunday morning.
DSC00704.jpg

More Sunday morning, I'd guess there were a third more vehicles there on Saturday.
DSC00733.jpg

my weapon of choice. I may not have an $80K sandrail, but this thing makes me feel pretty spoiled
DSC00725.jpg

gooning around on some steeps
DSC00813.jpg

Looks like some fun, lots of wheelie action going on :thumb:

One question, why is it eveytime I see a bike, quad or rail in the sand, you have to have a flag on it? Any other trails or what ever you don't. What is it about the sand that make them required?

nice wheelies... im still scared to do wheelies but would prolly try some small jumps. been so long since i rode anything with a paddle ... i want to get out to glamis sometime but not till next season prolly.

Lots of no-style wheelies, I know. They were better on Saturday, by the time Sunday came around I could barely hang on to the bike. :smirk:

It's East of Reno, KTMR, past Fallon about 20 miles or so. Out on America's "loneliest highway". C'mon man, give the sand a chance! It's not the same when you don't have to deal with whoops, rocks and cactus.:thumb:

couple more.
DSC00781.jpg

DSC00761.jpg

the color in this one is nice
DSC00827.jpg

Jackson, the idea with the whip is to give you a fighting chance at collision avoidance over blind hills and ridges. You want to be circumspect in how you approach the ridges, lest you meet a vehicle coming the other way. One thing you never want to do is stop below a ridge, cause nobody can see you down there. Either park it a ways down the slope, or right on top of the ridge. :thumb:

Jackson, the idea with the whip is to give you a fighting chance at collision avoidance over blind hills and ridges. You want to be circumspect in how you approach the ridges, lest you meet a vehicle coming the other way. One thing you never want to do is stop below a ridge, cause nobody can see you down there. Either park it a ways down the slope, or right on top of the ridge. :thumb:

Okay, I guess since there are no specific lines to travel out in the middle of the dunes and riders are all over place, I can see a need for that, but I do notice in one of your pics that you were cruising at a pretty good click and the flag was down and was at or below your own body height. Doesn't seem to work very well at high speeds where the danger is most likely to be. Maybe a stiffer flag pole?

Thanks, James! ktm toning down the orange probably contributed to my defection to their camp. My plan was to swap out all the plastics to white but it felt unfair to ktm to not advertise their brand for a least a couple more rides.

Jackson, the whips are ineffective most of the time, but it's the law out there, so we run em. There's so few other restrictions at that place it's the least we can do. It still shocks me to see people ripping quads around out there with no helmet, but hey- more power to 'em. It's nice that they have the choice.

In other news from the trip, the 300 was tearing my buddy's 450 a new one every race up Comp Hill.... mwahaha! So what if he's 50 lbs heavier than me. :P In turn, a couple of built Banshees showed me what quick is, they smoked me pretty good. If my starts were better it would have been closer but they were good pilots on some really nice machines.

Those pics would make anyone want to ride sand, even me! Beautiful!

Your a newb who does wheelies?:hail: I want:rant: to do wheelies and get big air! I dont think it will ever happen though:pout:

Not a requirement however we use them on our (wife and daughter, not me...no quad :naughty:) quads in JV so we can see where the "slower" riders are...the orange/red flag sticks out just above the tops of the pucker bushes.

Status
Not open for further replies.