Trav's Birthday Ride Report

Orignaly my plan was to do Ocotillo Wells and meet Wingnut but i talked to him and hes recovering from a injury so isnt out with his group of people. So i started looking around and TWS said he would camp a couple days at Johnson Valley. Its twice as for for me but i am ALWAYS down to ride a new spot if i am able to do so.

So off i go truck and trailer thanks to Strega (big thanks BRO)for letting me use his trailer so we didn't have to take two vehicles. TWS got out a night before me. Family and I arrived around noon on Saturday and right away i spot a hill climb off in the distance so i suit up get on the bike and boogie towards it.
aw7osy.jpg

the one that snakes right then left and a right towards the top.
I get there and its really sandy and loose rocks... i didnt make it to the top :lol: Head back to camp and next up is, the wife wants to go on a ride. so TWS leads the way and i run sweep. This turns out to be the most epic ride the wife has done. 30 miles of a little of everything. she does a 20 ft wheelie up a small sand hill and loops out landing on the back tire. :wow: i was amazed to see the crf80 do the coolest wheelie i have ever seen and its my wife riding it :lol:. Then we head to the lake bed and she gets it into 5th for the first time. After that we head to some sand dunes and she does pretty good. I was pretty proud of her. I wasnt sure how she would handle a 30 mile ride like that. She never complained one time :rocker:

After that it was getting the son set up to ride around the camp area. he does great but same ol same ol.. staying in first and not standing up with a couple lay downs here and there.
10g03n6.jpg

but then Lelani wants to learn to ride. So TWS tells me dude you gotta teach her. i cant get involved... smart man as he has to live with her :smirk:. more of the story at https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/forum/pictures-video/2635-another-soon-dirtbike-rider.html

Sunday first thing we did was go on a family ride to the bomb creators on one of the lake beds. The kids really got a kick out of it...
mwr807.jpg

now its off for the big boy ride. It wasn't the best trails i ever rode but it was nice to be able to get on it in a open desert. I don't think we hit any real single track. it was mostly quad and fire roads but i still had a blast. We rode to the petroglyphs but got a little off track on the way and ended up on the funnest road of the whole ride. When we got to the petroglyphs i walked up the rocks to check them out. while im up there i step about a foot away from a rattler. it buzzed and i jumped about 10ft in half a second... you would never see a fat guy move so fast EVER!!!. i was gonna get a pic of him but he wasn't sticking around and i was loosing sight of him in the rocks so i said screw it. then my battery died. So the video is a lot slower then or ride back. i was really getting on it on the way back but had no battery. Across a lake bed i hit 89mph :wow: almost pooped myself. on the fire road that goes by the power lines i was doing a constant 65 mph for a while.. that was awesome. We also hit some cool race course truck road that was like a mini canyon slot of sorts. Then we stopped at a big ass sand hill climb that i couldn't get up with my stock gearing... TWS almost wadded himself into a bush on his first try then makes it his second.

anyway here is the video i edited together.

after that we went back to camp as i was on reserve after 53 miles to make the total ride about 65 miles. At camp i set up the son and he gets on his bike... apparently he was riding for a good hour before we got back and it showed big time... by the end of day Dylan is now shifting and standing up a little..
345nbqx.jpg

overall it was one of the best birthdays i ever had. The ladys even made me some brownies that said happy birthday in it... Thanks ladys!!!

monday morning rolls in and TWS is already gone so i go to i take my last ride. about a 20 mile little loop looking for the hammers stuff. i got onto a really rocky downhill section and fell over 3 tiems trying to get off it... didnt have the camera with me and i figured im by myself so i head back to camp. The son gets his last ride in while we are loading up.

i will be back Johnson Valley. Place is so huge i really like how far you can go ... even tho it seems i barely scratched the surface

SRAD97750

Staff member
Solid. I hear the good singletrack is hidden deep in the rocks. Nature makes you work for it sometimes... Great Ride Report Buddy! Roost if I can! -BIG DAN:thumb:

Solid. I hear the good singletrack is hidden deep in the rocks. Nature makes you work for it sometimes... Great Ride Report Buddy! Roost if I can! -BIG DAN:thumb:

there was some that cut across the desert but when we seen those we were looking for the spot. Then on the way back i never noticed them.

there was some that cut across the desert but when we seen those we were looking for the spot. Then on the way back i never noticed them.

Isn't that the way it always goes. :smirk: I hate that. You see a great trail on the way to a destination and then poof it's like it was never there on the way back.

Isn't that the way it always goes. :smirk: I hate that. You see a great trail on the way to a destination and then poof it's like it was never there on the way back.

for sure. its epically big out there... i been riding OW a lot lately so that place was like :wow: to me. definitely not the place to take a bad one... you don't ever see anyone else.

Nice! Who doesnt want to be dirt biking on their birthday? Great to hear about the wife:clap: Not to mention the nice new bike. So from the video and pics I think life is pretty good right now for you. Great kids, wife and bikes. It least what I see from pictures. Pretty soon your wife and Leilani will be taking off for long rides while you boys kick back on autopilot watching the kids and sipping cold beer :smirk:

Thanks for sharing your birthday with us. It's always good to take a trip to the desert:thumb:

Nice! Who doesnt want to be dirt biking on their birthday? Great to hear about the wife:clap: Not to mention the nice new bike. So from the video and pics I think life is pretty good right now for you. Great kids, wife and bikes. It least what I see from pictures. Pretty soon your wife and Leilani will be taking off for long rides while you boys kick back on autopilot watching the kids and sipping cold beer :smirk:

Thanks for sharing your birthday with us. It's always good to take a trip to the desert:thumb:

woah woah woah... thats going way to far :P

Awesome RR Trav, Roost when I can. I hope we keep JV, it is a huge place to ride, even on the most crowded weekends, you can get to a place where there's no one. :thumb: I did my Birthday there with TWS last year, and you just can't go wrong being in the Dez eating some brownies. :cheers:

Your ride report makes me want to go to the Valley again as I have not been there in years. I guess there is a lot of places that I never knew about. :thinking:

Your ride report makes me want to go to the Valley again as I have not been there in years. I guess there is a lot of places that I never knew about. :thinking:

We should meet up at JV, and share each others favorite secret spots. I've got some good one's that I've shown to others, and some I've not. :devil:

We should meet up at JV, and share each others favorite secret spots. I've got some good one's that I've shown to others, and some I've not. :devil:

i heard storys about cool places out there... like crashed airplanes ? and a way to ride to bigbear... that sounds really fun to me.