trailer project

James

Staff member

so im finally about done. need to paint it all yet. im going to add a 2x4 below the wheel chocks. bolt it to the floor then i can fasten the expanded metal to the 2x4 to keep it solid. also going to rewire it and replace the taillights since they dont work.

That's actually a pretty good idea for the wheel chocks. :thumb:

Where are you putting the tie-down points? Also since it isn't welded to a full enclosure (frame/sides all the way around the trailer), are you confident that it'll hold the full weight of two bikes if you have to stop really fast?

That's actually a pretty good idea for the wheel chocks. :thumb:

Where are you putting the tie-down points? Also since it isn't welded to a full enclosure (frame/sides all the way around the trailer), are you confident that it'll hold the full weight of two bikes if you have to stop really fast?

thanks.. yea im pretty confindent that it isnt going anywher if i have to slam on the brakes real quick.. its pretty solid.

dont mind the shitty weld on the gate there.. that was NOT me lol

also on the tie downs i have some eye bolts was thinking either on the very front piece of angle iron or on the piece that the wheel chocks are welded to.. any thoughts?

dont mind the shitty weld on the gate there.. that was NOT me lol

also on the tie downs i have some eye bolts was thinking either on the very front piece of angle iron or on the piece that the wheel chocks are welded to.. any thoughts?

I would say to the piece the chocks are on... you'll be pulling the bike down at the same general angle the forks are on... too far out you might not be getting the full tension needed to ensure a good snug fit (wiggle, straps coming untied, etc.) PLUS the straps would be in your way if needing to get something out of the caged area while the bikes are tied down. :prof:... seriously, I know this.... I may not be the quickest bike on the track but run a close second in the "sharpest tool in the shed" category! :smirk:

i like your thinking. my initial thought was the piece the chock is on. it didnt cross my mind though that the straps would get in the way of getting stuff out of the cage if theres bikes strapped down so good thought on the Rez thanks for the input.

i like your thinking. my initial thought was the piece the chock is on. it didnt cross my mind though that the straps would get in the way of getting stuff out of the cage if theres bikes strapped down so good thought on the Rez thanks for the input.

PLUS I was justhinking that if you were to go to the front piece you might have to mount a support (cross) bar (right in the middle) to keep the piece the chocks are on from bowing. :prof:

well got the cage all painted and done. mounted the eye bolts for tie down points. and im calling it done-ISH. got it out of my garage and thats what i was shooting for. its usable but still have to do new wiring and taillights and i wanna respray the rest of the trailer a fresh coat of black. but as of now its done for awhile. i have other projects and maintenance things i need to get done.

also. for this whole project i havenet had a bench vise to hold my angle iron or whatever i was cutting and grinding. ive been using a little clamp and my work bench :(

it sucked but worked.. kinda.. then the other night i came home with this bad boy thanks to my father in law.