trailer project

picked up a trailer the other week so i can haul my bikes around with my jeep. its 6.5x10 with a flip down gate. picked it up on the cheap with all new treated lumber.

my plan is to set it up for 2 bikes. so first things first was trim down the extra metal grating on the tailgate.

then trim down the overhanging 2bys on the front.

started tack welding some angle iron going to put a storage area on the front about 16" off the deck and about 20" wide. basically to toss my gas can, stand, gear bag ect. stole the idea from James lol really like his trailer set up.

so far i have the front all framed out and tack welded. so far i dont have much money into the steel as i got some free stuff from work and bought some from a welding shop who cut me a nice deal. my plan is to keep the cost down as much as possible, get it all welded up then spray the whole trailer.

i ran out of wire for the welder so its on hold till i get some more. hopefully this next week i can get some more progress on it.

in hindsight theres a few things i should of done differently on the front storage area but oh well dont feel like cutting it out and redoing it. i did use it today to pull my bike to the track and this thing is crazy bouncy and really rough riding. not a big fan of how stiff the leaf springs are. in the future i might look into getting some softer springs for it so it rides alot nicer.

You can put a bit better tire on there for your dirt biking needs. And make that trailer pull alot better. Once you get all your boxes on there with weight and stuff, Thats when i would figure out what to do with your springs.

I'm also getting ready to build a dirt biking trailer.

Yea that was another thing I was gonna do was replace tires with something a little better for my needs. And yes hoping once there's more weight on it, it will pull nicer. Spring s will be later if my other options don't help.

James

Staff member
stole the idea from James lol really like his trailer set up.

:thumb: If I ever have a version 2 there's a few things I'd change, most notably making the wheel chock piece bolted-in instead of welded. That way you can remove it for an unobstructed interior.

BTW was this the trailer that you had hooked up when I went past yesterday?

yeah i had just got back from the track. right after i hurt my ankle again haha. guess i better take it easy and let it fully heal. guess it'll give me time to finish this thing.

James

Staff member
yeah i had just got back from the track. right after i hurt my ankle again haha. guess i better take it easy and let it fully heal. guess it'll give me time to finish this thing.
:lol: Seriously? Now what did you do?

Rolled a double and blipped the throttle a bit so when I landed I heard my ankle pop. Hurt like a b*tch pretty sure just jammed it

well i was able to put in a solid sat. working on the trailer today. i picked up some expanded metal to finish the front of the trailer. so i mocked it up make sure it all fits how i want it to.

welded up the front and added to braces to keep it solid.

continued on welding the rest of the sides. 3 out of 4 sides done

then started brainstorming trying to figure out what to do for the wheel chocks. came up with this out of angle iron mainly because thats all i had at the moment.

and then there was 2

and welded them into place

so im finally about done. need to paint it all yet. im going to add a 2x4 below the wheel chocks. bolt it to the floor then i can fasten the expanded metal to the 2x4 to keep it solid. also going to rewire it and replace the taillights since they dont work.