Toying with the dark side of the force.

:devil: what would be needed to put the cr250 in the crf frame?
donor frames and engines. a friend put a cr500 in a crf250 frame so fast and all but some heat treating done in the shop he puts airplanes together in as i recall. there are kits (he built his own jig and cut his own pieces) and welders are for hire everywhere.

Last edited:
Sean, it is in my opinion that you would be happiest on one of the other manufacturers. The Yamaha and the Suzuki at most would need a bigger tank and some clicker adjustments. You would be at beat with the yammi because it doesn't need a stabilizer and as far as aftermarket desert products go I think yammi has the most readily available. The 98-2001 Hondas were not very forgiving bikes the vibration was horrible the suspension skittish at best and some felt the power was lacking when they needed it, but nothing that money can't mostly fix. However, since you feel that the Honda is your best option right now then go for it. You're the one that has to be comfortable and confident on it, not me. :thumb:
I find the 2000 and 2001 to be a world different than the 98,99. If yamaha hadn't done so well on the yz the Honda would have seemed even better than it was for then. The only time a cr250 seems to out shake anything else is one that had a typical crank rebuild. That "sheet metal" crankshaft is close to impossible to realign without some pretty special jigs.

Last edited:
I've raced CR500s in the dez without stabilizers (:eek: ) years back and they were beasts in the dez. I have raced and play rode an 03 YZ250 in the dez for 9 years and it was an awesome bike for trail riding. You can not go wrong with the YZ. I would pick it over the CR all day. But if you are a fan of the red baron, you should go that route. It has a good motor and can make a good dez bike with some proper additions.