Toying with the dark side of the force.

I am pondering going to the dark side, sometime next year, I'm not exactly a big and fit dude so the weight a 450 makes them a bit much too handle. I'm also just riding and racing to have fun, so I might as well not even care about the big bore.

Basically, I'm looking at a used 250 2 stroke, CR250's are an option because the newer ones will accept the suspension and stabilizer off my BRO250R, and they can be had for about 2k.

YZ250's are nice, and I'd love to have one, but they come with a premium price for an aluminum frame with the SSS suspension, nothing I currently have would fit one.

KX, RM and KTM are not really options I'd like to toy with.

Sean, it is in my opinion that you would be happiest on one of the other manufacturers. The Yamaha and the Suzuki at most would need a bigger tank and some clicker adjustments. You would be at beat with the yammi because it doesn't need a stabilizer and as far as aftermarket desert products go I think yammi has the most readily available. The 98-2001 Hondas were not very forgiving bikes the vibration was horrible the suspension skittish at best and some felt the power was lacking when they needed it, but nothing that money can't mostly fix. However, since you feel that the Honda is your best option right now then go for it. You're the one that has to be comfortable and confident on it, not me. :thumb:

Sean, it is in my opinion that you would be happiest on one of the other manufacturers. The Yamaha and the Suzuki at most would need a bigger tank and some clicker adjustments. You would be at beat with the yammi because it doesn't need a stabilizer and as far as aftermarket desert products go I think yammi has the most readily available. The 98-2001 Hondas were not very forgiving bikes the vibration was horrible the suspension skittish at best and some felt the power was lacking when they needed it, but nothing that money can't mostly fix. However, since you feel that the Honda is your best option right now then go for it. You're the one that has to be comfortable and confident on it, not me. :thumb:
I wasn't looking at 98-2001, I was looking at 05, 06ish+ for any bike I would be buying.

The biggest (only) advantage for the honda, to me is the ergo's on most of their bikes are spot perfect for me.

If your gonna think about a 2t knowing what kinda stuff you ride, I'd go with the YZ, followed by the Katoom, kx, RM ( my favorite) then the cr, the Rm and CR are too much MX for you and the YZ and ktm are more versatile, the kx is middle of the road......this all figuring around the 05 mark. And oh yeah, welcome to the dark side......maybe.

If your gonna think about a 2t knowing what kinda stuff you ride, I'd go with the YZ, followed by the Katoom, kx, RM ( my favorite) then the cr, the Rm and CR are too much MX for you and the YZ and ktm are more versatile, the kx is middle of the road......this all figuring around the 05 mark. And oh yeah, welcome to the dark side......maybe.

If I was gonna go fast in the desert. The kaboom would be my 1st choice.

sean you are about my height and weight if i recall correctly. I rode Mike's RM for a few laps at the last east coast ride. Other than the suspension feeling very stiff, but not harsh, I felt right at home on the bike from the get-go. You may consider trying to find people that will let you ride their bikes. From what I understand the 2 strokes handle wildly differently.

All of the RM's I have rode will turn on a dime, and the YZ I rode was definitely a bike you steer with the rear tire. The RM has a lot of mid-top power, and the YZ has a lot of mid power. I feel the YZ is very well suited for trail riding, not necessarily desert, the RM engine would probably be better. I have never ridden a KX or CR so I have no real opinions on those :P other than the whole color thing...

If you want a honda I would seriously look at putting a 2000-2001 engine in a crf250 frame. If you haven't run across it yet there is a wide ratio gear set that will fit the CR and 2008 back crf450. You change out 3,4, and 5.