Tools n'such

SRAD97750

Staff member
A handheld borescope has assisted me in many situations. I have the Matco model. Doesn't get as much use as I thought it would. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Thanks Dan.
I have never used one.
How much was your Matco model, and are the specs similar?
Basically I'm wondering if it's worth the $70.00, or should I throw down some more $$$ for one with better features and/or options?

SRAD97750

Staff member
They take some getting used to. Up is not usually 'up.' Once you get it though, they are very helpful looking at what you cannot easily see. I use them for looking at the bottom of the piston while installed in the engine through the intake/exhaust port. Found a cracked piston skirt once. I also use them for blind inspections of all kinds.

The Matco one is over 10 years old and was new technology then. Probably cost me north of $300.
$70 is a screamin deal. Costco has a good one for cheap too. Look around at options. Some do screen shots, some record what you see on an SD card. -BIG DAN:thumb:

A friend of mine like the Milwaukee I have, and found a ryobi for less than half. He uses it daily. I don't think his records though. If you like rechargeables the ryobi's are good enough and cheap enough you don't mind losing them.

I've been looking into these things and nowadays you can get a USB version that plugs straight into a computer, and they're cheap too, like $20.00 for the China version. They're probably all made in China though.
I haven't picked one up yet cuz I want to find the right one, but if I could find one that has high resolution, color, a 6ft cable, adjustable LED's, records, and plug it into the kiddos tablet, that would be sweet.

Yeah, you do when you first get them. I use it for showing customers they really do have broken drain lines, more than anything else. You will find yourself doing things with it to begin with just because you have it. Then you quote yourself like Dan a few years down the road. I have used it to look at cylinder walls, just really to confirm what I already knew was happening. Can't say it ever saved me anything there. One more step and kept me off the streets more, I guess.

I loved it when they started sending adjustable open end wrenches in cm instead of inches. I could hold up my 200 cm wrench and say it really was a "metric crescent" wrench.